Velo Cateye wireless comp, how often do you change your batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I usually change the battery in 'both parts' at 6 months, which for me is about 700 miles when I change to winter/summer bike. I also carry spare batteries with me.

Button batteries can be checked/tested for remaining charge. The button battery testers are not as common as the type of tester that I use for AA/AAA/PP3 etc. They are available though. E bay do them
for about a tenner but I just buy a card of batteries about once per year. It can be frustrating if they pack up during a ride

The current card of Panasonic brand CR2032 button batts I have surprisingly (to me) have a 'use by' date to Jan 2031! I'll never get to find out if that is true as I will have used them by then. There was 6 batts on the card and I think they were £2.
20221116_171129.jpg

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I use Cateye Strada wireless computers, one each on 5 bikes. Which means that some of them don't get very regular use, but a total of about 3000 miles per year across all bikes.

Even the most used bike though, which probably does about 1500 miles per year, doesn't go through a set of batteries in a year. I tend to just wait until the display goes dim on the head unit before changing it. At a guess, once every 2 years. For the sender unit, less frequently. In that case I wait until it stops sending info to the head unit, usually that means the speed remaining at 0 mph when I am moving.

As you will know, you need to remember the odometer reading before changing the head unit battery, and re-set the tyre size. If you are worried about losing the mileage information, then obviously you need to change batteries before the display dies, but in my experience it fades first, so you get plenty warning. In changing batteries after 6 months, I think you are being a bit over cautious!

presta

Guru
in my experience it fades first, so you get plenty warning

Same here.

I have lots of stuff that uses 2032s, so if I think I've removed one prematurely I save it and use it up in something else less important. I use up old AA/AAA cells in the mantlepiece clock too, a 'flat' one will run the clock for a year or more.

Top Bottom