Velo Reality?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just been searching around in advance of getting my hands on my Bkool Pro (Christmas present) and came across Velo Reality. I see that DCRainmaker gives it positive reviews but wondered if anyone here was using it on a Bkool Pro and any views on how ell it performed. It looks quite nice?

I understand the pricing model is one off purchases of the videos rather than subscription.ala Bkool/Zwift.

I get the impression the performance might be more stable than Bkool ??? but realise the potential volume of rides is a lot more limited.

ravenrider

If you want to ride the climbs in full HD or 4K if you are lucky then Veloreality's rides are great, i am even considering upgrading my set up to 4K for the new stuff, the apps free and a single ride isnt much so try it out.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Thanks ravenrider . Once I get my hands on my new Bkool Pro I plan to download the app which bundles the Paterburg Loop automatically.

What turbo are you using with it? Bkool?

I like the fact that the video is a minimum of HD and that you can dip into any of the rides at any point you like and only need to be connected to the internet if you want to ride in mutiplayer mode. The Marmotte package looks particularly interesting.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I saw that but I'd like to have played with the free demo and see how well it works with the Bkool before "splashing the cash". But the BOGOF looks like a good deal.

You can use the software without a trainer in simulator mode. I find the software a little clunky and 1990s, but the videos are great.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
You can use the software without a trainer in simulator mode. I find the software a little clunky and 1990s, but the videos are great.

I downloaded/installed the software today. Looks good. The real test is when I get the Bkool attached and then I can judge how well it interacts with it. The "Workouts" section looks a bit awkward to use but it looks like it would be usable.
I can't see anywhere where you can do a FTP test so I guess you have to derive that from somewhere else... eg. Bkool/Zwift/TR

On the Grade Reduction field do you move both sliders to the far right in order do the rides with full resistance/gradient without any reduction? It wasn't too clear to me.

Flint

I downloaded/installed the software today. Looks good. The real test is when I get the Bkool attached and then I can judge how well it interacts with it. The "Workouts" section looks a bit awkward to use but it looks like it would be usable.
I can't see anywhere where you can do a FTP test so I guess you have to derive that from somewhere else... eg. Bkool/Zwift/TR

On the Grade Reduction field do you move both sliders to the far right in order do the rides with full resistance/gradient without any reduction? It wasn't too clear to me.

Left slider - do not touch grades lower then left slider value
Right slider - scale grades higher then left slider value so they fit between left and right slider values.

In your case if you move right slider all the way to the right left slider position does not matter. To simulate something like Zwift's "trainer difficulty"which is by default 50% move left slider all the way to the left and move right slider to the middle. All the grades will be scaled down to 50% of original value.

I hope I explained it properly. In any way they have a link to the User Guide on their download page.

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
Thanks Flint. Since posting I'd had another look and read the manual :blush: and came to that conclusion but it's good to get your confirmation.

Btw, do you use a BKool TT?

Flint

Thanks Flint. Since posting I'd had another look and read the manual :blush: and came to that conclusion but it's good to get your confirmation.
Btw, do you use a BKool TT?

No. I use Lynx II trainer. Vastly superior but also expensive machine.
Disclaimer: I am employed by and one of the owners of Veloreality

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
The Lynx was above my budget for this first foray into smart trainers so I have the Bkool coming to me as a Christmas present.

I want to test the Bkool with the Paterberg route that I have downloaded with the software (and manual). On the basis that the Bkool/VeloReality combination works well I will purchase some of the videos. I'm particularly attracted to the Marmotte 4 video collection.
From what I can see from the Paterberg demo the video and display options and layout looks good.

Just frustrating having to wait for Christmas.
Btw, if I purchase the Marmotte set can I download each of the 4 videos at my leisure rather than try and download all 4 in one hit?

OP
OP
MasterDabber

MasterDabber

Über Member
I decided I'd better check the new Bkool was working OK prior to Christmas (that's my story anyway) so I set it up for a quick test using VeloReality before packing it away until Christmas Day.
I did the VeloReality freebie Paterberg circuit and then followed that with a short section of their Tourmalet East ride..

Very impressed, the videos are great and I thought the gradient progressions were logical and realistic. I've no prior experience of using a smart trainer but my initial l impressions are very positive.

I only dipped briefly into Bsim to change a setting so the the VeloReality sw could recognise the Bkool. There was a 90 Premium voucher with the Pro but I never wanted to invoke that before I started to use it regularly.

NZ Dave

I have the Bkool classic with the upgraded firmeware so it does Ant+ FEC. It pairs with veloreality except for power. When you pair you can see the speed, cadence, and heart rate reading so I thought all was good.but when I try the video ride only the cadence and heart rate read not speed. Any ideas on whats going on,how to get VR to read power when pairing and speed to show up with video?

Top Bottom