Veloce B tension adjust?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ant

Does anyone know how to do this?

I threw the chain off my bike recently and for some reason the rear derailleur was affected. When in the lowest gear the chain rides on the lower jockey wheel and vibrates slightly.

Several bike mechanics have said that the 'B Tensioner' needs adjusting, and sure enough, if you pull the derailleur back slightly the problem is gone. However, Campagnolo Veloce does not appear to have this adjustor and everyone that's looked at it have just stood scratching their heads.

Anyone have any idea how this is done on Campag Veloce 2009?

Will1985

Über Member
B-tension is a Shimano thing. I refer you to the gospel of Sheldon:

Loosening the "a tension" has the same effect as tightening the "b tension.

OP
OP
A

Ant

thanks, but I'm still none the wiser...it doesn't seem to have an A tension either. :ohmy:

OP
OP
A

Ant

Will1985 said:
It is the barrel adjuster where the cable enters the mech.

No that's not it. That's for adjusting the indexing. This is in a different direction.

Just had a thought - how old is the chain? Could it be stretched?

It's only three months old, and I've only done a few hundred miles on it. Not especially hard ones either. It's a proper campag one too, so not cheap cr@p

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ant said:
It's only three months old, and I've only done a few hundred miles on it. Not especially hard ones either. It's a proper campag one too, so not cheap cr@p

I used to wear out 8 speed ones in a month, but i was doing about 1000miles. But if you havent done many miles then its probably not that.

Cant help on the adjustment, ive only ever worked on Shimano/fixed so dont know about it.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Are you looking for the 'H' screw? - see http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/7225432 - Rear derailleur 9-10s-03-08.pdf
- next to the jockey wheels cage. It moves the cage in relation to the cogs.
(see also http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=64)

- not to be confused with the H screw of the H/L pair of course, which Campag refer to as B and G in the RD leaflet!

OP
OP
A

Ant

Thanks for the info guys, particularly the links.

I haven't had a chance over the weekend, but I'll take another look at it this evening and see if I can figure it out.

OP
OP
A

Ant

On the downside I've just noticed that the rear derailleur cable is slightly frayed from the chain catching it, and will need replaced. :laugh:

How easy is this to do? I can't see any easy access to the anchor points under the brake hoods. Will I need to take the brake hoods apart? :biggrin:

OP
OP
A

Ant

Yeah, those are the ones. I think I'm going to phone around and get an LBS to sort this properly.

I can't believe the grief that a thrown chain has caused :biggrin: Even more annoying as I tried to get a dog fang a wee while ago but couldn't get one the right size, so gave up :laugh:

Thanks again for your help.

Top Bottom