Velodysse from Roscoff - what's it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We're thinking of doing it straight from the ferry (as in leaving car at Plymouth). Young child in tow (or more likely free range). Is that likely to be an issue?

Just realised the route is away from the sea until just past Nantes. We were hoping for a coastal route. Anyone know of there is a train route to Nantes or the coast to rejoin it on the coastal section? Do they take bikes and do you have to book them in? One is a recumbent bike.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Vélocéan/V45 which may have been renamed La Littorale/V5 is a more coastal route to Nantes but it's incomplete so you have to plot your own road route for the missing bits, which are the hollow blue lines on this from https://www.departements-regions-cyclables.org/schemas-itineraires/schemas-regionaux/bretagne/
SR3V-Bretagne-676x867.jpg

https://www.francevelotourisme.com/base-1/destinations/bretagne/troncons/la-littorale-a-velo-voie-5 has detailed descriptions of the open sections.

www.bahn.de makes it look like train connection is possible by bikes-without-booking TER trains changing at Morlaix and Rennes, taking about 5 hours. Recumbents are usually difficult, but people report tandems are OK, so a recumbent bike might be possible - trikes and velomobiles might be more difficult.

My recollection of that part of the route was lots of narrow canal paths - some that would be interesting in wet weather! Sometimes not a lot of space between the path and the water. There's a lot of car-free paths, but lots of junctions where you cross roads, so kids would need to be under good control - but that's the whole way down. Signposting is generally good, except in towns. Then the signs are hard to see and confusing because the same sign is used N-S as S-N. Roundabouts can be fun! :-)

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
How far is the roscoff to nantes section? Doing it as a family so unlikely to do more than 30 miles per day. We were thinking it's more coastal. The unfinished coastal alternative doesn't really suit since we're going to actually follow a an established route.

The 5 hour train journey doesn't sound like a good option with a 5 year old. The alternative is to ride from Roscoff but based on a Conservative schedule I think a straight out and back would only get to Redon just before Nantes. With no coastal section.

Assume we're not going far each day (25 miles or 40km) is there a way to get a recumbent, adult bike and child's bike nearer to Nantes such that we could do a nice mix of inland and coastal routes. Say we get to two thirds of the way to the coast first by a simple train route allowing us to do some coastal section. Distance I fear could he 250 miles or 400 miles total distance. That's 200 miles one way then returning the same way or close by.

It's looking like train to Nantes then down coast to La Barre de Mount's and a bit further off possible before returning for the train. Only 11 days cycling to be sure to make an early morning ferry to Plymouth.

It's looking like either an inland trip or a long train journey to see the coast. To b anyone who's done it can you give me your opinion whether from Roscoff towards Nantes or from Nantes along the coast is the best/nicest option?

mjr

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Yes, which means 8 days at 30 miles per day (with a 5 year old that's feasible but perhaps not enjoyable).

Which makes me wonder if there's a partway start after a train journey.

Looking on trainline site there's three trains to get to Nantes which take upwards of 5 hours. First change is after an hour journey time at Morlaix. Quick change to get on the hour and half train to Rennes. Over an hour wait to get hour and a quarter train to Nantes.

So looking at Google maps Morlaix looks to be close to the route but still not close to the coast. Rennes is right off the route. It looks like two choices, 5 hours train journey to Nantes to do a coastal stretch or just do the inland stretch. No halfway option of half the train time in exchange for half and half inland / coastal section.

Is the inland section nice? I kind of know a bit of what the coast is like due to family car camping holidays to the d'Olonne area as a young child.

Any other French coastal route that is going to be nice weather and good for kids too? Or indeed any good route that can be accessed straight from a ferry? In France that is. I know Holland dunes just north of IJmuiden is really nice, been there done the cycling and looking for something else.

Yes, which means 8 days at 30 miles per day (with a 5 year old that's feasible but perhaps not enjoyable).

Which makes me wonder if there's a partway start after a train journey.

Looking on trainline site there's three trains to get to Nantes which take upwards of 5 hours. First change is after an hour journey time at Morlaix. Quick change to get on the hour and half train to Rennes. Over an hour wait to get hour and a quarter train to Nantes.

So looking at Google maps Morlaix looks to be close to the route but still not close to the coast. Rennes is right off the route. It looks like two choices, 5 hours train journey to Nantes to do a coastal stretch or just do the inland stretch. No halfway option of half the train time in exchange for half and half inland / coastal section.

Is the inland section nice? I kind of know a bit of what the coast is like due to family car camping holidays to the d'Olonne area as a young child.

Any other French coastal route that is going to be nice weather and good for kids too? Or indeed any good route that can be accessed straight from a ferry? In France that is. I know Holland dunes just north of IJmuiden is really nice, been there done the cycling and looking for something else.
Belgium? You can speak French, if you want! :-)
The Belgian coast is nice. Lots of campsites so you can almost go on the fly, stop when you want. Pretty much dedicated cycling paths and very well behaved motorists when encountered.
It might not be as long, but with kids I reckon they're the first priority. Possible to do a few side trips too, for example Brugge, Ieper (Ypres) depending on your tastes.
I know you said no to Holland, but Zeeland is south of Rotterdam (ferry), loads of cycling routes and water everywhere (sometimes from up above!). Lots of campsites - some resorts (swimming pools etc.), some small farms (often have access to animals for the kids) (http://www.kamperen-bij-de-boer.com/)
You could put a nice route together with short daily distances and interesting and varied stopping places for the kids. All within easy reach of a ferry.

mjr

Maybe consider Roscoff to Saint Malo but I'm unsure of distance and the route looks more back roads than cycleways. It's on the French cycletourism site I linked earlier.

Or would renting a van and driving to near Nantes work? Motorways are rare around there too, though, so it might be too long a drive.

Just ideas. I like Belgium and the Netherlands too. Easier to piece together cycleway routes, although the cycle exit from Dunkerque port to the nearest cycleway start at Loon Plage is distinctly non-obvious.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I suggested another Newcastle to IJmuiden ferry trip heading south instead of into the dunes. Liked the ferry service last year, food was exceptional even if I had to lie down like a beached walrus for a few hours afterwards. The curse of an all you can eat buffet! My only complaint was the small plates, I had to keep getting up instead of filling a properly sized plate and halving the trips.:blush:

It's France this year because we fancy a change. Plus warmer weather. Holland was nice but my partner wants a greater warmth, plus sea, plus a waterpark with slides, etc if possible. Basically a cycling holiday with fun stops.

Last year we stayed in a typical continental campsite / resort. All formal bays and blocks of pitches. The swimming pool had a nice waterslide (the first my son has been on) plus water jets and other things. He loved it. We stayed there three nights (having revisited it on return journey).

Although we're wondering if Danube is a better option. Usual Germany section, hire bikes, all off road, etc. I found a bike shop that hires out recumbents too

climo

Über Member
Portsmouth to St Malo. Train to Rennes which I think terminates there. Train to Nantes. Only problem is there's no lifts at Rennes just those bloody channels up the stairs

Top Bottom