Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Finally got registered this afternoon after the site crashing countless times and no 20% discount. Never done a race before or even that distance so plenty of training to be done in the coming months .

NorvernRob

Fancied this, got the email this morning but the 2,000 discounted places had already sold out by the time I got home at lunchtime!

The Tumble looks a strange one, 4.9km @ 9% yet the average speeds are faster than Holme Moss which is only 2km @ 9% average (bridge to top). Has the Tumble got steep bits then flatter sections to get some speed up?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Fancied this, got the email this morning but the 2,000 discounted places had already sold out by the time I got home at lunchtime!

The Tumble looks a strange one, 4.9km @ 9% yet the average speeds are faster than Holme Moss which is only 2km @ 9% average (bridge to top). Has the Tumble got steep bits then flatter sections to get some speed up?
No, it's very smooth. From memory there's a short steep bit as you come out of Govilon village, and there's the "fiddler's elbow" hairpin, then a long straight road slashed up the side of the hill.

That said, I've never ridden it but I'm pretty familiar with it as I used to live round there and walked round there a lot. So I don't have any direct cycling experience.

Here's a video from a motorbike. He turns off at about 4:56 onto a little road that goes to the radio masts then drops down into Llanellen

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0YxAcmfho

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The climb up the Tumble is to be timed - you could argue that's a race ;)

Yes one could argues that, but one would be incorrect.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The climb up the Tumble is to be timed - you could argue that's a race ;)
You'll be fine as long as you don't use the "R" word. But if you forget yourself and say something like "it's a race against the clock", or "my heart was racing" then you'll be in BIG TROUBLE. :smile:

Norry1

Legendary Member
I booked on the 18th and got the discount. Also booked a hotel for the night before.

Closed road sportives are great fun - if a bit pricey.

huwsparky

Über Member
I've decided to do the etape Eryri instead. Didn't realise they were only a week apart so I had to make a choice between the two.... I'm sure this will be a cracker but after speaking to a couple of people who did the etape last year I've been swayed!!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've handed over a ludicrous amount of dosh (£58) and entered. Well ... you don't know until you try do you?

Does anyone know if it has a cut off time? Presumably it must for them to re-open the roads. What happens then? Do you get broom-wagonned or otherwise taken off the course? There's a pro race after, so if that's on the same course I presume they have to clear it.

The longest estimated time that you're allowed to enter is 6h (which I duly entered) so I'm kind of guessing that there may be a 6 hour cut off, like Ride London's 8hr.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I emailed the helpdesk about the time limit and got this response:

In order to ensure the roads are clear in time for the Pro Race, a number of ‘sweep vehicles’ will travel the entire route at 17.1km per hour (10.6 miles per hour). If you are caught by this convoy of vehicles, you will be required to withdraw from your race. The vehicles will then take you and your bike back to the start /finish area in Cardiff city centre.

As long as you are on target to finish the event in less than 7 hours, you should not come into contact with the sweep vehicles at any point. This should allow plenty of time for you to complete the route in time.

Kind regards
The Help Desk Team

Good service in responding to my email so quicly, but you do think they could have put this info on the website.

I'm quite relieved because a 6 hour limit would (for me) be cutting it a bit fine. Doable, but with little margin for error. 7 hours I can feel a bit more relaxed about.

Edit: I'd like to apologise on behalf of the Help Desk Team for their unfortunate use of the R word. ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom