Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't forget the photographer's overheads: Time, website hosting, equipment depreciation etc. Probably had to pay the organisers a pretty penny for the franchise. Pricing isn't ridiculous IMO.

I paid £29.99 for 16 photos, including a couple of nearly duplicates, all good quality, many of which show me and the friend I was riding with, so I'll expect her to buy me a pork pie and a packet of twiglets in exchange.

U

User33236

Don't forget the photographer's overheads: Time, website hosting, equipment depreciation etc. Probably had to pay the organisers a pretty penny for the franchise. Pricing isn't ridiculous IMO.

I paid £29.99 for 16 photos, including a couple of nearly duplicates, all good quality, many of which show me and the friend I was riding with, so I'll expect her to buy me a pork pie and a packet of twiglets in exchange.
I am friends with several pro photographers who do similar work from time to time.

In recent years all have changed the way they charge primarily due to the number of amateurs who stick there images on social media.

Each have halved (or more) the costs of images from what they charged a few years ago and have increased sales by 3 or 4 times as a result.

Many people don't want numerous photos and are also not going to pay £17.99 for a single image but might be happy to pay, say, £7.99 for one. If that saw them selling 4 times the number then they increase their income. OK they may lose some full package sales but if they don't try they will never find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting insight into the business, thanks. It's a conundrum for them how best to set their prices. I was happy with the service. But I'm not everyone.

sleaver

Veteran
At the end of the day, you can't please everyone :smile: Bit like the road closures :okay:

While I'm not a professional photographer, I do enjoy photography and used to work with someone who did it semi-pro.

What was said about social media is true. They are platforms for enthusiasts to get there photos out there for people to see and if they are of an event, what is the public going to choose if they have to choice of paying for the pros photos or ones from people who won't charge because they are just pleased that someone wanted them.

Everyone wants everything for free, but people need to make a living.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
The quality and value of what you are being offered depends entirely on the number of shots, and more importantly the quality of those photos.

There is one photo of me on the whole route, grimacing badly up a hill, and 7 near identical photos at the finish.

I paid the money for RideLondon 2013's photo pack, as the diversity, number, and quality were there.

None of those apply to Sundays ride unfortunately.

Even all the Wiggle events I've done had better photos. Very disappointed personally.

Pointy boy

Über Member
You guys may like this: my wife, who is a full-time artist, is nearing the end of a year-long project to produce a painting per day for a year - ( http://www.louisecollis.com/365-project/4589524153 in case you're interested). Anyway, she was out painting on the day of the velothon (sat on the grass banking in Abersychan, on the stretch from the Tumble to Pontypool in case you spotted her at the time) and captured this quick sketch of the action. Doubt anyone will recognise themselves, but it does capture the colour and spectacle of the day.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 62

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
You guys may like this: my wife, who is a full-time artist, is nearing the end of a year-long project to produce a painting per day for a year - ( http://www.louisecollis.com/365-project/4589524153 in case you're interested). Anyway, she was out painting on the day of the velothon (sat on the grass banking in Abersychan, on the stretch from the Tumble to Pontypool in case you spotted her at the time) and captured this quick sketch of the action. Doubt anyone will recognise themselves, but it does capture the colour and spectacle of the day.
Some of those are nice and rather evocative for me - I used to live in Gilwern years ago.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
from that painting i know exactly what part of the road she was on, even though i didnt ride the event - really good artistry too

Top Bottom