Wales : South Glamorgan Velothon Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

@NorvernRob I "liked" your post, which doesn't mean that I laughed a lot at your predicament. Just a bit. How on earth did you lose your saddlebag?

Well you have to laugh! At the time I was very very close to phoning my wife to pick me up, but after a hot shower I was already looking at the route to change it slightly and do it again soon.

My saddlebag must have just fallen off, it was a small scicon one held with Velcro but it's never moved before. I suspect the water and mud may have loosened it, but I don't know really. Nothing more money spent at Wiggle couldn't replace...

sleaver

Veteran
Both big hills I stopped multiple times up for a quick 10 second breather, but didn't push the bike an inch. It may have even been quicker to do so, but had made my own rule I wouldn't do it.
You didn't say something like ".....I've stopped 23 times" (may have been 25) to someone on the Tumble did you?

While having my tea at Caerphilly, gave an extraneous full bag of Jelly Babies to a couple of younger ones with their mums so I won't have no MP telling me the event brought nothing to the area! :tongue:
Wish I got away with a bag of Jelly Babies. Premier Inn got around £240 off me!!!!!!

such as "pothole on the left round next corner".
Did you actually see it though? If it is the same sign that I'm thinking of, the ride next to me and I looked at each other and said that we didn't see it.

first two stops seemed to cause road blocks for those trying to go straight through.
When I was going straight past the first because it just looked like bedlam, a rider just walked straight into the right hand lane and just stopped in front of me with his bike at right angles to the flow with not a care in the world :cursing:

the dull as ditchwater section of dual carriageway between Newbridge and Caerphilly
Come on, there were people shouting encouragement that it was the last hill :smile: They must have been tourists that had only just arrived and didn't know the local areas :laugh:

U

User33236

Did you actually see it though? If it is the same sign that I'm thinking of, the ride next to me and I looked at each other and said that we didn't see it.

The one I have in mind wasn't a sign. It was a lady of advancing years standing to the outside of a right hand turn and yes there was a reasonable sized pothole.

sleaver

Veteran
The one I have in mind wasn't a sign. It was a lady of advancing years standing to the outside of a right hand turn and yes there was a reasonable sized pothole.
The one I was thinking of was an actual sign, outside of a pub I think.

Just watched the highlights but I'll watch them again when they are on ITV4. They were on S4C so couldn't understand a word of what was said :smile: (before anyone thinks it, I knew that would be the case anyway :smile:)

Jason.T

The one I was thinking of was an actual sign, outside of a pub I think.

Just watched the highlights but I'll watch them again when they are on ITV4. They were on S4C so couldn't understand a word of what was said :smile: (before anyone thinks it, I knew that would be the case anyway :smile:)
They didn't really say a lot other than mentioning they were doing the 2 climbs twice, then it was just mainly positions of the riders etc, Although at the start they said there were 13,000 riders, that's not to say there info was correct

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I cant believe fellow cycle chatters needed to walk or stop on the tumble and caerphilly :okay:

sleaver

Veteran
They didn't really say a lot other than mentioning they were doing the 2 climbs twice, then it was just mainly positions of the riders etc, Although at the start they said there were 13,000 riders, that's not to say there info was correct
Thanks

Just out of interest, is Welsh still actively taught either from parents and/or schools?

sleaver

Veteran
I was reading the posts on The Velothon Wales Facebook page and apparently someone had a heart attack at the top of the Tumble.

They said he had to have a stent put in but he is OK and they also thanked the people who stayed with him and the person he was with until help arrived.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What was the sign on Caerphilly Mountain saying "Jabberville" referencing?

col1888

Well I did it , a year and 4 months after a replacement hip operation, so happy with myself. 6hrs 25mins, both hills killed me. Walked some of each hill but if I didnt I would have fallen off ! Living near Lincoln I have never ridden anything like those hills ! Feed stations were a joke. Great day with great support from the locals. Saw some seriously crap riding by one cycle club. Bombing through our group , zig zagging on both sides, surprised they didn't take anyone out !

Jason.T

Thanks

Just out of interest, is Welsh still actively taught either from parents and/or schools?
Yes it is, can't speak for the whole of wales but where I am it certainly is, most primary schools are pretty much welsh only (although if a child can't speak a word they will get taught in English but it will gradually turn to welsh pretty soon) It's suppressing how fast a child will pick it up when it's all around them, when they come to secondary school they have a choice of a English or welsh school, the English school still have welsh lessons, I know kids I went to primary school with who's whole family are English but by the end of primary school could speak fluent welsh and chose the Welsh secondary school, as for parents teaching yes it does happen but it's more generally a case of a child speaking welsh naturally because the familys first language is welsh

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was 8,600 and something out of 8,777 finishers. That makes me 98.6% through the field.

I figure that every minute shaved off the time equates to about 10p of entry fee wasted. The last finisher was 40 mins after me so I actually threw away £4!

It's interesting that all the headlines are saying 14,000 or 15,000 riders, but the results only show a total of about 10,000 (including 50k route finishers). Perhaps the rest were no-shows or swept up by the broom wagon.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks

My sister's child learns Welsh at primary school but is taught in English for most lessons (Cardiff), and I think the GCSE might be compulsory? Another friend has chosen to send her child to a Welsh school right from the start of primary.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That crabbies tasted good!
IMG_20150614_161948.jpg IMG_20150614_142455.jpg IMG_20150614_135301.jpg

Top Bottom