Velovision Route 8. Venice towards Croatia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We may be able to get cheap flights mid April to Venice and am looking at somewhere to ride for a few days. We are currently thinking Venice towards Trieste on Velovision 8.

Has anyone ridden this route and Are we looking in the right direction. Or should we be going in the other direction?

I did a loop a few years ago - Venice, Ancona, Split, Trieste, Venice - Trieste to Venice is pretty ordinary - south along the Italian coast ditto - the top end of Croatia around Pula and inland and the little bit of Slovenia I did is quite nice - I read somewhere that it is pretty easy to get a train to Trieste

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Venice to Trieste is dull. Possibly the dullest bit of Italian cycling possible - so much so, that on my return I took the train from Cevignano del Friuli.
Nearby, Aquileia is a world heritage site and well-worth a squint.

andym

Über Member
Venice to Trieste is dull. Possibly the dullest bit of Italian cycling possible -

Really?

coast-road-to-trieste.jpg

Coast road to Trieste. OK admittedly not on the official eurovelo 8 route.

I think you probably bypassed the interesting places on the route. See these pictures here:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/galleries/gallery-islands-lagoons-adriatic-coast/

and route guide with maps and gpx files here:

http://italy-cycling-guide.info/cycleways-cycle-routes/coastal-rides/adriatic-coast/

Attachments

• 13511963345_990b5bd7a6_z.jpg
    13511963345_990b5bd7a6_z.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 43

22camels

I was in the region in April last year for my second tour. I rode from Venice airport to Trieste along the coastal plains on the way out and I returned via the eastern Dolomites. The return trip was definitely more enjoyable and scenic, but I found the coastal route quite fun too, after negotiating the first 20km of main road from the airport. I went right through Aquileia it seems without noticing as I was concerned about finding a wild camping spot before dark. The Strada Costiera on the approach to Trieste was certainly the most scenic bit of the outward route, as in the picture above. Up until that point I'd stayed mostly away from the coast itself and it was a bit monotonous, but still pretty nice. Though as a newbie tourer I am not so discerning in my preference for routes :smile:. I don't remember what route 8 was doing, the roads I took were not too busy. Near Cervignano del Friuli there is a north-south cycle path (FVG1) going all the way to Munich which was fairly nice for a while though easy to lose track of.

Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z5_iZKIeUBz0.k-fsigXm732w (I also did a day trip from Trieste through Slovenia to a part of Croatia, and back).

andym

Über Member
I went right through Aquileia it seems without noticing as I was concerned about finding a wild camping spot before dark.

Shame, there's a really nice campsite in Aquileia (the Camping Aquileia). Swimming pool and special rates for cyclists. The pictures on their website were probably taken in mid-August, when I was there we had tons of space.

22camels

I was there 29th March so it would have still been closed, as were many other campsites I passed. Maybe next time.

Johngibsta

Did you cycle this route in the end?

Top Bottom