Venom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
Here's a few pics of my new acquisition, I don't even know what it's called: is it a Venom? A Sabre Racing Cycles Venom?
All I know is it was made in birmingham and it's very pretty. The guy I bought it from had it custom-built in about 1990. If anyone knows any more about the form I'd be very interested

It's just a shade small for me, but with a slightly longer seat post I think it'll be useable.
I've not ridden 653 before; this could be my imagination of course, but it feels pretty stiff for such slender tubes.
Weight is less than 10kg even with the unremarkable 36 spoke wheels.

My plan is to bring it up to date with a 7 or 8 speed, compact chainset and brake shifters, although it's been so well looked after that apart from a worn chain and cassette it didn't need anything else!
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

There's a few more pics here if anyone's interested
https://www.cyclechat.net/media/albums/77venom.1296/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Very nice indeed.

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
A little update on the Venom.
I already had everything I've added to it in my spares bin (apart I think from the bottom bracket) means it's a cheap upgrade!
First off I gave it Claris brakeshifters, a FSA 50-34 chainset and 7 speed cassette; I tried an 8 speed but it wouldn't fit on the ultra/hyperglide freehub. Unfortunately, the 500ex derailleur that was on it wasn't man enough for the 33 tooth chain wrap capacity, so I temporarily stole a longer caged 2300 RD off my old flat bar bike (that I'd already just stolen the chain off :smile:).
Other than that, I serviced the hub and took a wobble out of the back wheel and it's good to go!
I'm going to use this as my (dry days) winter bike for a while and see how I feel about the long stem.

Oh, and looking at the photos I've just realised that I've already dirtied the godsdamn white bar tape. All I had left was white, blue or fake leather :rolleyes:

I'd like to think it's a sympathetic and practical modernisation - I really like mixing modern parts with nice steel frames, this one practically flies along the road it's so smooth
full.jpg

full.jpg

full.jpg

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
Just a gentle shakedown! It all went very smoothly apart from the rear derailleur seems to be a little out of true (the problem with indexed I know :rolleyes:). I picked up a new claris for £13 off of the bay last night so I'll stick that on when it arrives

Top Bottom