Venom

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
Funny this thread has sort of resurrected itself just when I've finally had the time and inclination (and temporary lack of pain) to ride my Venom.
I've replaced the seatpost with a longer one so I can now pedal without my knees complaining, the saddle is a bit knife-like without pads and the position is still a bit stretched out, but I had a couple of really nice rides of around 15 miles last weekend. Oh, and I've put my shiny silver H Plus Archetype wheels on it so I can run it as an 8 speed. The combo of skinny 653 tubes and v.stiff modern wheels seems to work very well indeed!
I met a friend for lunch on Tuesday, rode over to the pub on it. It got quite a few admiring glances which made me very happy :smile:

Hi All, I’ve just finished my first Venom rebuild and am awaiting responses from Matt in Australia. I’m hoping to organise a telephone chat if he’s willing and see what we can learn. I’ll keep updating here as I have news...
is anyone have any knowledge about setting up a register of some kind, there are a few more Venoms turning up now.
Dave M

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Hi All, I’ve just finished my first Venom rebuild and am awaiting responses from Matt in Australia. I’m hoping to organise a telephone chat if he’s willing and see what we can learn. I’ll keep updating here as I have news...
is anyone have any knowledge about setting up a register of some kind, there are a few more Venoms turning up now.
Dave M

Why not just create a Facebook page or do a Blog
I run a Facebook page for anybody with an interest in R.E.W Reynolds bikes and it's surprising how every so often another 1 surfaces

AEB3B4C8-508E-4618-BC6D-D499552D7D37.jpeg
AFDD29EE-3D40-46D5-B2BB-6A63DA4E517C.jpeg
Here she is, my Eroica ride for Italy this year. 20% new paint, Golden Arrow groupset because it’s pretty, filed off braze on front mech hanger because I could only find a band-on. Scary stuff....
Pictures have gone to Oz so we will see if this triggers a response from Matt.

View attachment 481194 View attachment 481193 Here she is, my Eroica ride for Italy this year. 20% new paint, Golden Arrow groupset because it’s pretty, filed off braze on front mech hanger because I could only find a band-on. Scary stuff....

Just as well I have my retro shades packed for Gaiole, that is....bright:becool: and very nice, I have a soft spot for Golden Arrow, both pretty and efficient:okay:

Just as well I have my retro shades packed for Gaiole, that is....bright:becool: and very nice, I have a soft spot for Golden Arrow, both pretty and efficient:okay:

Ha, it’s not very subtle is it! It’s been hard work fixing the damage to the paintwork and it’s not perfect but it’s come out ok. Lovely bike to ride and that’s what really counts. What will you be riding in Italy?

Now to start on Venom #2.

OP
OP
mikeymustard

mikeymustard

Veteran
Not been on here for a coupla weeks, been busy with other stuff [daughter's wedding preps :eek:]
@Weathergirl very nice build - it looks like sweetie wrappers! I'm a big fan of golden arrow stuff too, so what's not to like. Do you know what year it was made?

Ha, it’s not very subtle is it! It’s been hard work fixing the damage to the paintwork and it’s not perfect but it’s come out ok. Lovely bike to ride and that’s what really counts. What will you be riding in Italy?

Now to start on Venom #2.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I should be on a Concorde Aquila which just about sneaks in as it is a 1986/87 model, it is now "eroicafied" with a triple chainset :okay:

View attachment 481194 View attachment 481193 Here she is, my Eroica ride for Italy this year. 20% new paint, Golden Arrow groupset because it’s pretty, filed off braze on front mech hanger because I could only find a band-on. Scary stuff....
saw the bike parked in Gaiole today. I can confirm it is bright:becool:

Matthew Norman

Here's a few pics of my new acquisition, I don't even know what it's called: is it a Venom? A Sabre Racing Cycles Venom?
All I know is it was made in birmingham and it's very pretty. The guy I bought it from had it custom-built in about 1990. If anyone knows any more about the form I'd be very interested

It's just a shade small for me, but with a slightly longer seat post I think it'll be useable.
I've not ridden 653 before; this could be my imagination of course, but it feels pretty stiff for such slender tubes.
Weight is less than 10kg even with the unremarkable 36 spoke wheels.

My plan is to bring it up to date with a 7 or 8 speed, compact chainset and brake shifters, although it's been so well looked after that apart from a worn chain and cassette it didn't need anything else!
View attachment 428929
View attachment 428930
View attachment 428931
There's a few more pics here if anyone's interested
https://www.cyclechat.net/media/albums/77venom.1296/
Hi great to see my frames still getting used. I was the owner of Venom Ltd. I'm now making frames in Brisbane Australia call Matisa Bicycles Ltd. I'll be posting some history on the Matisa website shortly. Matthew Norman

Top Bottom