Ventisit fixing to Challenge Hurricane SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby

Finally received my Hurricane but unfortunately the Ventisit was not fitted. So.........I have a seat cover which is secured together at regular intevals by black plastic thread to form a double layer. Will I have to cut some of these to begin to fit it over the seat (think slitting a pitta bread down the centre..........or does one use carpet tape (or a.n.other fixing) to attach the whole thing, i.e double layer, to the slippy, slidey metal seat. It's a dumb question..........but if you don't know you dont know :laugh:

BTW, Andy Allsop was trying to compile some info re. luggage for different types of recumbents. If anyone knows his contact details (his PM account is exceeded), please pass on the following from Hubert van Ham of Radical Designs - narrow is the coorect size for the Solo Aero seat bag for a Challenge Hurricane SL (seat size medium).

Regards

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
just sent him a message with a link to your post

Catrike UK said:
Velcro tape so you can remove it for cleaning.

+1

Get the "industrial strength" velcro as opposed to the household stuff.

Then place the hooks on the seat so you avoid / shape round the holes and place matching lengths of loop on top.

Carefully then apply Ventisit to seat and leave to "set"

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I've done mine with zipties (quelle surprise) which helps lock the front and rear surfaces together. There are little span connectors between the seat bolts, that give a convenient locking point. Mind you, it does go S shaped on me occasionally, and it can be very disconcerting it it slips sideways. Those seats are not wide.

The Panzerfiets on the otherhand has industrial velcro. Works very well too.

squeaker

Über Member
Used velcro and zip ties on my Mistral. Can't see why you need to remove it once fitted, as there's not that much to it to gather sweat and subsequent bacteria.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
squeaker said:
Used velcro and zip ties on my Mistral. Can't see why you need to remove it once fitted.

I can answer on behalf of my Furai, but it might not apply to the Hurricane or others across the Challenge range. To replace the powerside idler, you need to remove the seat. To remove the seat you need to access the bolts. To access the bolts, you need to remove the cushion.

Given that the one weak thing on Challenge bents seems to be the idler (again, this may be mine only) I'm expecting to remove mine approximately once every 2k miles. That's been about right to date.

arallsopp said:
I can answer on behalf of my Furai, but it might not apply to the Hurricane or others across the Challenge range. To replace the powerside idler, you need to remove the seat. To remove the seat you need to access the bolts. To access the bolts, you need to remove the cushion.

Sang to the tune of "There was an old woman who swallowed a fly". :thumbsup:

My Hurricane has two quick releases that hold the seat in place, but then again mine is a very early model with elastomer suspension!

squeaker

Über Member
arallsopp said:
To replace the powerside idler, you need to remove the seat. To remove the seat you need to access the bolts. To access the bolts, you need to remove the cushion.
IIRC you don't seem averse to sacrificing the odd tie wrap :rofl:

Top Bottom