ventoux training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember reading this thread when it first came up - the question that came into my mind was - do you need to train for Ventoux at all? light bike, decent gearing - unless of course there is some special time to beat - just enjoy

PK99

Legendary Member
I remember reading this thread when it first came up - the question that came into my mind was - do you need to train for Ventoux at all? light bike, decent gearing - unless of course there is some special time to beat - just enjoy

Having done it in September from Sault, I have to agree.

It's a bike ride up a hill. The total climb is far less than a day ride in the Surrey hills, it just comes in one big lump. ok if you are determined to beat your mate up and do it without stopping it becomes more of a challenge.

We have Unfinished business as we were turned round 2km from the top as 120kph winds made it too dangerous. We will be back next September and do not plan to do any extraordinary training other than switching the balance of our rides to have more hills.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

Having done it in September from Sault, I have to agree.

It's a bike ride up a hill. The total climb is far less than a day ride in the Surrey hills, it just comes in one big lump. ok if you are determined to beat your mate up and do it without stopping it becomes more of a challenge.

We have Unfinished business as we were turned round 2km from the top as 120kph winds made it too dangerous. We will be back next September and do not plan to do any extraordinary training other than switching the balance of our rides to have more hills.

I do take both your points though.

Perhaps I could just drop over and ride it.

1-R0015106.JPG
I think that...if you met me, you would have your answer.

I think if you had met me you wouldnt have asked the question ^_^

Last edited:
Given this thread has been resurrected I'll give my 2p. For the last 4 years I've been living in an almost flat area and used to be of the thought that not doing big hills would be a detriment to my climbing but I've came to realise that sustained power on the flat at a higher speed equals sustained power on a mountain albeit at a lower speed and have since done some big mountains in the Alps, Mallorca and contrary to the school of thought some big climbs in Belgium the (Ardennes). Jealous of folk going up the Ventoux though, I think thats next on my bucket list :okay:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Oh, do it, for sure. It ought to be on every cyclists tick list.
Get as light as you can, gear as low as possible, accept the fact that it's gonna hurt.
Enjoy it. Take in the views, smell the changes in the air as you climb.
But don't try and beat any particular time, don't go too hard or you'll blow up.
The ride is long, but you're only racing yourself.
And trust me on the sunscreen.:okay:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I thoroughly enjoyed my 2 rides up Ventoux in September. :smile: I did the Bedoin climb then the Malaucene one. The former was probably harder, but then the latter was the 2nd climb of the day, so took a bit longer. The views up the latter climb are fantastic, and the middle third of the climb was great fun. :whistle: (I actually managed not to stop pedaling during that bit)
Here's my descents to Malaucene and to Bedoin from the summit:

Check out the Malaucene video at 11:00: that's where I was speeding down the long, steep and straight bit. :hyper:

Last edited:
Agree with this for the most part, but I would also include a couple of one hour+ efforts on the road at near threshold a couple of times a week, taking in as many hills as possible. That way you'll be replicating the effort required to climb Ventoux - albeit on the flat for large parts - and your legs won't have forgotten how it feels to climb - which is the real danger if you spend all winter on the turbo IMO!

There's general agreement that you need to be able to sustain riding for at least an hour+ and if you're doing this on a hilly/undulating course you need to keep the work rate going. This means no reaching the brow of the hill and easing off or freewheeling. You need to keep the effort going all through the ride. You'll have no chance to freewheel on Ventoux. I guess that's one of the advantages of turbo training in that you can set a high resistance and ride at a consistent pace throughout with no stops for traffic lights, roadworks etc.

Alfie_Gooner

I'm attempting Ventoux this May, and have been doing spinning classes as well as Turbo sessions for most of my training with the odd long ride at faster/harder than normal. I have a Turbo that can replicate Ventoux with gradients/resistance etc and have completed it twice so far.....(both over 2 hours). I'm not looking to get up it fast but just want to have a challenge and complete it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, you obviously believe you can do it. That's most of the challenge IMHO.
If a not especially fit fat bastard with a hangover can do Ventoux on a Brompton, anyone can. Might take a while, but it's not a race. Enjoy it! :biggrin:

Oh, and do appreciate the kilometre marker stones. IME they're good for a short sit-down to look at the view. Not to catch your breath in anyway whatsoever.
Admiring. The. View.
Definitely!

Last edited:
Top Bottom