ventoux training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ventoux is a steady 1hr+ climb. Pointless doing repeats of UK hills, as they will give you nothing like the duration you need to train for. Riding up a short hill and then freewheeling back down it several times is not going to give you any sense of the 1hr steady-state effort you need for the alps.

Focus on holding high outputs for 1hr plus. You don't need hills for that. A turbo will do.
Also...1hr+?

I thought it was about 25km. I'm guessing it'll be about 3 hours for me then?

Citius

Also...1hr+?

I thought it was about 25km. I'm guessing it'll be about 3 hours for me then?

Well maybe, I wasn't sure how quick you were. The pros are going up it in just under an hour...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I would be tempted to head due south until I got to the A25, then head west until, say Reigate. Go further if you're feeling ok, turn and come back, retracing your steps. Maybe do Star hill on the way home, left at Sundridge as you probably know then a nice stretch of fast run in to home once you get up the downs. Go hard as you can. 2.5ish hours, I think.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I would be tempted to head due south until I got to the A25, then head west until, say Reigate. Go further if you're feeling ok, turn and come back, retracing your steps. Maybe do Star hill on the way home, left at Sundridge as you probably know then a nice stretch of fast run in to home once you get up the downs. Go hard as you can. 2.5ish hours, I think.
I was thinking of something similar. But heading over caterham to box hill then a blast along th A25 to titsey hill. I have a feeling titsey hill is a pretty hard hill to end on.

But, rather than just building cardio practice on the flat, I was considering a few trios north, say up over the kirkstone...or even hardnot...are these relevant or just a distraction form doing miles.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Titsey Hill is ok but I find it a bit boring to be honest. The worst part is at the lower section (think it maxes out at around 17% at one point). For longer draggy climbs that take a while and are likely into a headwind, I would say Clarks Ln (more steady) or Star Hill (steeper sections) are the best on that section of downs. The reason I mentioned the A25 is that it is relatively fast, with not that many traffic lights yet rolling/lumpy enough to not be boring. I think it should be quite possible to go and ride virtually non stop at a high level of effort for 2-3 hours. If you wanted to extend the ride, I would suggest going as far as Dorking and heading South on the A24, before either looping round the bottom of Gatwick on the fast A road or turning right (Capel / Ockley) for the Surrey Hills... that might take a bit long though... 100+ back to Kent.

Last edited:

Citius

I managed a long mountain climb in the French pyrenees having done hill repeats mixed with some long miles, worked for me after only a year of being on the bike.

I would suggest that anyone, of any ability, could ride up any mountain, given enough time and the right gearing. All kinds of things will work, but some things will work better than others, depending on what the objectives are...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Jump on the Westcoast Virgin mainline train with your bike using some cheapo saver ticket. Get off at Macclesfield and turn right out of the station. Then head up the hill in front of you, that is about 7 miles, keep going till you get to Buxton, when you get into Buxton turn left up Long Hill another 2 or 3 miles of climbing and ride to the end of that and turn left and follow the road through Kettleshulme and Rainow another 5 miles or so of climbing and back to Macclesfield. Repeat the foregoing and then grab some food at the rather pleasant American diner opposite the station, or from Tele the proprieter of Waters Green Fish Bar across the car park, jump back on the train and arrive home in time for supper. :okay: Jobs a good un. :smile:

If you fancy a trip north 4 repeats of Holme moss would be around the equivalent of Ventoux from sault, or 3 trips up Cragg vale, though not quite as steep. Lots of Turbo training on a high resistance, worked for me also.

Sault longest but easiest
Bedoin Hottest
Malaucene Hardest

all imo

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Jump on the Westcoast Virgin mainline train with your bike using some cheapo saver ticket. Get off at Macclesfield and turn right out of the station. Then head up the hill in front of you, that is about 7 miles, keep going till you get to Buxton, when you get into Buxton turn left up Long Hill another 2 or 3 miles of climbing and ride to the end of that and turn left and follow the road through Kettleshulme and Rainow another 5 miles or so of climbing and back to Macclesfield. Repeat the foregoing and then grab some food at the rather pleasant American diner opposite the station, or from Tele the proprieter of Waters Green Fish Bar across the car park, jump back on the train and arrive home in time for supper. :okay: Jobs a good un. :smile:

And check your brakes BEFORE you turn off Long Hill. You are evil !!!

PS I think the heat might be the key point, not so much the length.

ayceejay

Guru
philosophy 101:
first you start with the why? and then the how, is there a bus service or a helicopter?
If you decide on doing it on a bike you return to why?
and then how.
As training goes this is as good as it gets

Top Bottom