Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
General opinion is to do the climb from Sault last - longest, but least steep. The other 2 ascents are similar in difficulty, but the Bedoin ascent has trees (shade) which you may want to factor in if it's going to get hot during the day.

See, I’m tempted to do it from Sault first because I’m confident I can get up it and then I’ll have done it (and have the picture)!

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Just to add a few points to the very good info already posted:
If possible try to avoid doing Ventoux on a weekend or Bank Holiday ( there are lots of French Bank Holidays in May) . As well as being a mecca for cyclists it's also a favourite for motorcycles, car clubs and even motorhomes! It's much quieter mid week and quieter still in the afternoons.
As previously mentioned, the mistral wind can be a problem. When it blows it is often for 2-3 days, so a few plan B rides are a good idea. ( last year we went in late September and the winds were high for our first 3 days.
Whatever you do, don't miss a cycle along the Gorges de La Nesque. It's an easy cycle form Bedoin or Sault and if you stay in Bedoin can be done as the warm up to ascending Ventoux from Sault. The scenery is breath taking and the route very quiet , excepting weekends.
https://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/sights-and-attractions/gorges-de-la-nesque
Finally it's a bit further away but easily done with car assist ( about 1 hr drive from Ventoux) , Mont Lure the forgotten mountain in Provence. It's about the same altitude as Ventoux ( not quite) but because it's not used on the tour sees about 1/100 of the cyclists. In truth it's quite a bit easier than Ventoux but you will still know that you've had a serious day in the saddle. The views however are simply spectacular, in my opinion better than Ventoux. Personally I much prefer Mont Lure to Ventoux - you'll see French seniors on their steel bikes sans helmet.
https://www.questel.co.uk/montagne-de-lure/

Sallar55

Veteran
Just to add a few points to the very good info already posted:
If possible try to avoid doing Ventoux on a weekend or Bank Holiday ( there are lots of French Bank Holidays in May) . As well as being a mecca for cyclists it's also a favourite for motorcycles, car clubs and even motorhomes! It's much quieter mid week and quieter still in the afternoons.
As previously mentioned, the mistral wind can be a problem. When it blows it is often for 2-3 days, so a few plan B rides are a good idea. ( last year we went in late September and the winds were high for our first 3 days.
Whatever you do, don't miss a cycle along the Gorges de La Nesque. It's an easy cycle form Bedoin or Sault and if you stay in Bedoin can be done as the warm up to ascending Ventoux from Sault. The scenery is breath taking and the route very quiet , excepting weekends.
https://www.marvellous-provence.com/other-places/sights-and-attractions/gorges-de-la-nesque
Finally it's a bit further away but easily done with car assist ( about 1 hr drive from Ventoux) , Mont Lure the forgotten mountain in Provence. It's about the same altitude as Ventoux ( not quite) but because it's not used on the tour sees about 1/100 of the cyclists. In truth it's quite a bit easier than Ventoux but you will still know that you've had a serious day in the saddle. The views however are simply spectacular, in my opinion better than Ventoux. Personally I much prefer Mont Lure to Ventoux - you'll see French seniors on their steel bikes sans helmet.
https://www.questel.co.uk/montagne-de-lure/
Add in photo shoots for new cars , been stopped twice over the years . BMW and Peugeot , the french had the local police to make sure traffic was stopped and the Germans had the trucks over the road at both sides,one for the new model and the 50ies sportscar. Must have had a permit from the Marie's. Good luck with the weather.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
@Cathryn hope you have studded tyres. The Tourmalet yesterday.

IMG_0334.jpeg

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I did it from Sault (and had a 30 mile ride to get there from where I was staying). It's a straightforward climb (and I'm no climber) you just need to get it in your head that you're climbing for 2 - 2.5 hours when you start. It's a great feeling at the top.
I did it in July and it was nicely cool at the top, with a slight breeze, but it's not called Ventoux for nothing!
A friend has done the three ascents (now he is a climber) and says it was tough. As others have said the weather can play a factor.
I don't know anyone who has tried all four routes up (incl the off road one!).
I'd second checking out the Gorges de la Nesque, it's beautiful.

Simon_m

Guru
prob got lots of good answers already, and you prob have a plan already. we started from Malaucene and found it ok. Left at 6am as we were crossing the country and had to be in Roussillon that evening, so that wont matter too much to you. We did find leaving super early, the roads were nice and quiet and the weather hadn't got too hot. Going up from this side means you are in the trees a lot and you don't have to look at the weather station at the top from the get-go, so psychologically it was easier. Only see it near the end and you get that rush of excitement then. The classic race route is from the other side of course. On the descent down to Les Bruns, there were lots of groups coming up in the heat of the midday sun, and they were struggling, plus the wind had got up then. The roads are narrow on our descent in places, with cars overtaking cyclists, it was "exciting" as lots of near misses, also the tree routes dig up the tarmac, so there are a lot of lumps. It is an amazing climb, and yeah, check the weather as some races up at have been cancelled due to the weather even in summer.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A plan is coming together. Ventoux with the husband and son and some friends in May. None of us are speedy lycra-types.

Has anyone done it? I know about the three routes, they're easy to research but any thoughts from people who have ridden them? Where should we stay? If we rent fancy road bikes (imagine schoolchildren riding racehorses), where should we rent them from?

My son (14) wants to do the 3 routes in 24 hours. I def could only do two max (and I'm not sure I could do two). Same for my husband. Any thoughts on how we could make this happen? He's so strong, he'd definitely give it a good bash.

I hear what son is saying, but having done one ascent, the rest is just more pain without any pleasure / diminishing returns of pleasure.

France Bike Rentals is in Bedoin at the "start" of the climb is most convenient place to day hire a bike. The route from Bedoin is the classic route the TdF uses most of the time. In classic message board style I shall advise you to do what I did :laugh: but the guys in said rental shop said it was the best thing to do when I picked up my bike and they asked what my plan was. (i was holidaying with the family a couple of hours drive away, so left them to it one morning when the weather forecast was good (low wind) and snuck off for the day).

So climb up from Bedoin,
It starts easy 3% gradient, for 5km to the junction to the climb proper, then its 8-9% steep for 10km up thru the forest, but mercifully shaded in the trees to Chalet Reynard (junction with road up from Sault) where you can stop for a drink etc, then eases off for 4km as you hit the moonscape and then last 3 km tip up again but the steepest bit @10% is within sight of the end.

Descend back down to Sault and grab some lunch, and return to Bedoin via Gorge de la Nesque

1707311781329.png

Why do this?

1. the descent back to Bedoin is very crowded often with cars and bikes coming up, not always on their correct side much more relaxing from Chalet Reynard to descend the quiet road to Sault (above Chalet Reynard the sight lines are excellent for confident descending, below that its poor, blind corners in the forest. CR to Sault is also good sight lines, and you lose your altitude a bit slower, so you get full reward for your climb in the afternoon.
2. The Sault descent is pretty - lavender fields etc
3. gorge de la Nesque is stunningly beautiful, I mean jaw droppingly so, yor on a road perched high up on the gorge side with amazing views
4. after a small climb out of Sault its a slow 1% descent for nigh on 30km, great for tired legs
5. it makes it more of a day out than just cycing up hills and back.

The other option is a loop back via Malaucene, but its not as beautiful as the Gorge.

If you are desperate to do the other climbs, do them a different day.

When to ride? - when its not windy! No shelter above Chalet reynard - the road will close in high winds as it blows the bolders around. defo midweek not at the weekend.
Unlike the high alpine passes, it wont be snowed up in the spring its only 1900m, but it will be a lot cooler at the top than bottom, so take appropriate layers.
https://www.touristwebcams.com/livecams/webcam.php?webcam=montserein
web cam on malaucene side at 1400m

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done Ventoux from Sault twice - early May on a carbon uberbike, and mid-November on a Brompton. Both times there was snow above the Chalet, so do have an extra layer available or a Plan B.
Definitely do the Nesque Gorge - it's a lovely ride and pretty deserted. Personally, I'd do the climb from Sault first unless you're utterly confident you're doing the triple. Sault first gives you the best chance of making it to the top at least once!
Bonne chance et Chapeau!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Personally, I'd do the climb from Sault first unless you're utterly confident you're doing the triple. Sault first gives you the best chance of making it to the top at least once!

but @Cathryn has ridden the Simplon pass & traversed the Apennines loaded with luggage, Ventoux from Bedoin will be walk in the park.

bobzmyunkle

3. gorge de la Nesque is stunningly beautiful, I mean jaw droppingly so, yor on a road perched high up on the gorge side with amazing views
4. after a small climb out of Sault its a slow 1% descent for nigh on 30km, great for tired legs
Definitely do this ride if you're in the area.
There's a municipal campsite at Villas sur Auzon and a couple of decent bistros in town. Much quieter than Bedoin - although I enjoyed staying there (didn't camp).

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
but @Cathryn has ridden the Simplon pass & traversed the Apennines loaded with luggage, Ventoux from Bedoin will be walk in the park.

Whilst @T4tomo is totally correct, I feel like he paints me as slightly more badass than I am in reality! (Thanks though, I sound awesome)! I def think we will do Sault on day 1 and assess the whole thing based on that! I definitely want to get to the top! I have a wall crying out for a photo!

iluvmybike

Über Member
I don’t like being cold. I hadn’t expected cold. When does it not be cold at the top?

It can be cold at any time even in the height of summer - it is 6000ft+ high! It can also be very, very windy (hence the name Ventoux) so much so it can blow you off your bike. Take a jacket and gloves if in doubt. Like any mountain the conditions can be benign at the base and quite different up top. We did it on a gorgeous still day and were in short sleeves on way up but needed our jackets and gloves on for the descent - take into account that you'll likely be whizzing down at quite a speed so that makes it colder as well

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Second that - coming down from the Chalet at dusk in November was very brrr :cold:
Not helped by my shorts and short-sleeved top. I had severely underestimated how close to snow I was.

Top Bottom