Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
A plan is coming together. Ventoux with the husband and son and some friends in May. None of us are speedy lycra-types.

Has anyone done it? I know about the three routes, they're easy to research but any thoughts from people who have ridden them? Where should we stay? If we rent fancy road bikes (imagine schoolchildren riding racehorses), where should we rent them from?

My son (14) wants to do the 3 routes in 24 hours. I def could only do two max (and I'm not sure I could do two). Same for my husband. Any thoughts on how we could make this happen? He's so strong, he'd definitely give it a good bash.

Jameshow

Veteran
A plan is coming together. Ventoux with the husband and son and some friends in May. None of us are speedy lycra-types.

Has anyone done it? I know about the three routes, they're easy to research but any thoughts from people who have ridden them? Where should we stay? If we rent fancy road bikes (imagine schoolchildren riding racehorses), where should we rent them from?

My son (14) wants to do the 3 routes in 24 hours. I def could only do two max (and I'm not sure I could do two). Same for my husband. Any thoughts on how we could make this happen? He's so strong, he'd definitely give it a good bash.

2 each overlapping on the middle one?

The easiest is Sault, then Malaucine and from Bedoin is the toughest. Malaucine and Bedoin have nice villages at the base of the climbs, nothing much really from Sault though.

Few tips:

In May it will likely be very cold at the top, could still be snow on the ground and if it‘s windy then you‘ll freeze your bit‘s off🥶
If it is cold then just go later in the day, it usually warms up (just check the wind forecast for the day)
There is a cafe 3/4 of the way back up Malaucine on the left as you climb, it‘s saved me a few times😂 having needed a fizzy drink
For where to stay, you can camp as there‘s plenty of sites or there are quite a few B&B‘s on each side although last time we stayed in L’isle-sur-la-Sorgue although it was a bit of a schlep up to Malaucine from there but it‘s a super nice town and much more going on and more places to stay.

Last edited:

avsd

Guru
Done it twice - from Malaucine and from Bedoin on different days. The decent is amazing, making the climb worthwhile. It took me circa two hours for each climb. Your son may want to look at the https://www.broleur.com/le-club-des-cingles-du-mont-ventoux/ I briefly considered it and thankfully wised up. One climb per day is enough for me. I was on a touring bike without panniers. We left the panniers at our hotel in Carpentras. Avignon is a much nicer city and reasonable close.

avsd

Guru
PS - one thing I forgot to mention give yourself a few day's window to do the climb. The day before we were due to go up the road was closed by the gendarmerie due to high winds. It was perfect on the day of our ascent.

bobzmyunkle

If you're (or son) doing 3 in 24 hours, you'll want to set off early to get back for tea. That means the first descent will involve significant wind chill. I just took a thin windproof and was frozen to the core at the bottom

Aren't you lucky! Some folks are trying to keep their 14 year olds out of trouble!

Assuming the parents are going to do 1 certainly, and possibly 2, climbs that leaves #3 as the problem. But there's a group of you? Is everyone planning to ride? Anyone available to do support?
I suppose if you feel strongly enough about it, one parent could hire a scooter/moped, load up a bag with supplies and accompany him? Or maybe a non-rider could do the same for rides 1&2 so that maybe parents can attempt #3 as well?

I would guess that it wouldn't be that unusual a request so that anyone renting out bikes will probably have information.

There is always the possibility of e-bikes?

@avsd 's advice to have a "window" is good. It may also mean that a 24 hour target might be in the hands of the gods.

Best of luck!

Alex H

Legendary Member
A long time ago, my wife and I tried it on our tandem and gave up at 14km (out of 21) from Malaucine. Much later in 2017 we lived in France and had a holiday in Provence. Thought it might be nice to see from the summit on our drive back.

3rd June 2017 - visibility at the summit 20m?

Thick fog until we got at least halfway down :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t like being cold. I hadn’t expected cold. When does it not be cold at the top?

Alpine huts don’t open (for summer season) till mid June and sometimes later for a reason. The temperature drops roughly 1C for every 100m of ascent in dry air. Thus 30C when you start and maybe 14C at the top. In May that may be 24C and 8C respectively. You get the idea.

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
We done cingles , picked what we thought was a good day but didn’t start till 10ish in morning , we stayed in a village a fair way away so ride was about 100 mile in total and took our own bikes
In reflection to make things easier it would have been easier to start earlier ( it was bloody hot when we did it ) stay nearer to mountain ( villages with b&bs and campsites all over ) we stopped in town at bottom for ice creams and had a pizza in chalet reynard half way up
Pacing yourself is essential and enjoy yourself !
Met one person doing it officially with a ‘think outside the box’ idea - he was doing it in 24 hrs but did 2 one day then sleep and did last one next morning - some may think bending the rules but still 24 hrs
It was getting dark and cold on last descent for us and we should have started earlier but really enjoyed it
Did hardest first easiest last
Word of warning - you can’t give up half way up second ascent - if you turn around you will get to the bottom but will be a fair way away from where you started I think

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I suppose if you feel strongly enough about it, one parent could hire a scooter/moped, load up a bag with supplies and accompany him? Or maybe a non-rider could do the same for rides 1&2 so that maybe parents can attempt #3 as well?

I would

@avsd 's advice to have a "window" is good. It may also mean that a 24 hour target might be in the hands of the gods.

Best of luck!

We will def have a car, so I did think that could be an option. I'm happy to crew.

bobzmyunkle

General opinion is to do the climb from Sault last - longest, but least steep. The other 2 ascents are similar in difficulty, but the Bedoin ascent has trees (shade) which you may want to factor in if it's going to get hot during the day.

Top Bottom