Ventura cp 50 (argos)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffo50

Regular
Hello Justinslow, I've got the Ventura CP50 in the Argos shopping trolley, and just a press of a button away, to ordering one.

I've done alot of searching and not many reviews and information out there. I've read your postings and can you fill me in on how you are getting along with your bike, as of present?

My finger is itching to complete the order.

Thanks

Jeff

ps I've already invested in a magnum lock, which I snapped up for a mere £32!

Attachments

• 20141226_154449.jpg
    20141226_154449.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 61

PaddyMcc

Über Member
Hello Justinslow, I've got the Ventura CP50 in the Argos shopping trolley, and just a press of a button away, to ordering one.

I've done alot of searching and not many reviews and information out there. I've read your postings and can you fill me in on how you are getting along with your bike, as of present?

My finger is itching to complete the order.

Thanks

Jeff

ps I've already invested in a magnum lock, which I snapped up for a mere £32!

Hi @jeffo50, I am really enjoying mine, I have the 23" version and I am 6' 3", it fits me well. I have had no real problems with the bike itself, just the usual new bike bedding in things like cable stretch, but there are adjusters next to the gear levers, making adjustment on the move a cinch. I am a newbie really, but from what I can tell the Shimano sora chain set, Ritchie seat post and bars and Shimano R500 wheels are all good kit. The brakes may be no brand, but they work fine.
I paid £499 which I think was a fantastic deal, if not quite as good as the £399 offering.

In the interest of balance, you might consider a slightly more expensive alternative, full Shimano 105 at £599: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/alur-700-road-bike-id_8290145.html

jeffo50

Regular
@PaddyMcc,

It's good to hear that you like the CP50 and for me, I've ordered the Ventura CP50 in 22 inch frame at £499. My itchy ginger got the better of me, prior to my first post. Hehe

For me, it was either the Triban 500 see or the CP50. And I'm putting my money on a well established Taiwanese frame manufacturer. And the fact that it's made it through the channels and to be sold by a major chain, I'm sure it's well up to the job.

Does the frame feel solid and stable, when you are riding?
Do the oem brake pads, perform well under normal commute conditions?
Is the oem saddle comfy?

Any further feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
@PaddyMcc,

It's good to hear that you like the CP50 and for me, I've ordered the Ventura CP50 in 22 inch frame at £499. My itchy ginger got the better of me, prior to my first post. Hehe

For me, it was either the Triban 500 see or the CP50. And I'm putting my money on a well established Taiwanese frame manufacturer. And the fact that it's made it through the channels and to be sold by a major chain, I'm sure it's well up to the job.

Does the frame feel solid and stable, when you are riding?
Do the oem brake pads, perform well under normal commute conditions?
Is the oem saddle comfy?

Any further feedback would be most appreciated.

Thanks again

Hi jeffo50, I've been getting on really well with my bike since getting it in August, I'm also a noob so I can't really compare it to anything else as its my first "racer" since I was a kid! I went for the smaller frame as I'm a touch under 6 ft, I still felt there was quite a reach to the bars for me so I changed the stem for a slightly shorter 90mm Deda one, the Ritchie stem is more like 115mm. I also played with the angle of the bars tilting them up a little to bring the hoods a bit higher and closer and dropped the overall height by one spacer on the headset which I might change back as I dont think I need the bike that aggressive for everyday riding.
I've changed the brake pads to Clark cps240 only because I read elsewhere they were good and the stock pads were poor (cheap piece of mind really) I've had no problems with the unbranded calipers, they work fine.
I got used to the saddle by just riding regular and was able to complete a 100 mile sportive on it, however, lately not riding regular I find it very uncomfortable, so I've swapped it with my MTB "selle" saddle, which is much more plush and comfy, although I will swap it back when warmer weather comes in the spring!
I changed my rear tyre to a "rubino" only because I blew the "zaffiro" out on some broken glass. The pedals that come with the bike are terrible but at least you get some to get you started, I rode a while on them then took the plunge and bought some cheap clipless shoes and basic shimano spd's which have been fine.
When I took part in the sportive I hooked up with a couple of chaps on Giant Defy's one of them a "0" with "ultegra", my bike held its head high in this company and didn't disappoint. We passed a lot of "bling" bikes that day costing thousands of pounds (I know it's not a race) proving this bike is no slouch and you don't have to spend big money to get a decent bike. The sora gearing has been faultless, just requiring fine tuning as paddymc says.
All in all I'm very happy with my bike and have no complaints it handles great, it's fairly lightweight but not super lightweight like you would get spending a lot more money, I've also set some reasonable times on strava as my fitness improves.
Another bike to consider would be the Mekk poggio 1.5 @ £548.99 from wiggle - very similar spec with a newer frame and better bb?
My bike -
image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 88

jeffo50

Regular
I got some work cancelled today, and then an email message came through to say that I can pick my Ventura CP50 bike up. Yay! A blessing in disguise. ^_^

I usually drive and do very little cycling, but that's about to change.

As I am a total newbie with limited bike knowledge, I managed to successfully put together the bike. The chinglish instructions have since been improved and understandable. and I'm Irish born chinese with a Lancashire accent. Hahaha.

The only racer I had, was a ancient burgundy Raleigh, several decades ago. And currently use my Trek F400 Navigator folding bike, to commute to work. It's nice but I needed that bit more oomph and up a notch.

Thought it was time to get fitter and get right into the sport.

Attachments

• 20141228_171615.jpg
    20141228_171615.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20141228_184045.jpg
    20141228_184045.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 68

jeffo50

Regular
Just took her out for a 10 mile test ride and was very much impressed and felt that the £499.00 was very well spent.
Those of you that previously paid £399, must be well chuffed!

I don't understand why a number of people on the Web, have negative views on Ventura CP50 bike? For the money, I'm getting alot of bike.

Going up those sloping roads is sure much easier than my f400 folding trek and my sisters Giant Roam W mountain bike. Both weigh around 15kg a piece.

The carbon frame looked very well made, throughout. Although not the highest grade, but probably comparable to bikes in the 1K bracket range.

The seat was average comfort and will be changed. I didn't like the visible staples beneath the saddle.

My R500 wheels came with the Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.

The gearshift operated smoothly throughout my 20 mile return trip.

The seat and saddle post felt pretty weighty, and I wonder if one can go lighter, on a budget?

The oem pedals looks good and provides grip, but are so heavy and feels like they are made from cast iron!

I will changing the brake blocks as others have recommended the Clark ones.

Overall, I'd recommend anyone to buy one of these at £499 or less.

One very happy chappy and sorry for the long winded post. Ever since I'm knocking on a bit, this long windedness of me is getting worst! Anyone feel the same? Hehe

Jeff

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Just took her out for a 10 mile test ride and was very much impressed and felt that the £499.00 was very well spent.
Those of you that previously paid £399, must be well chuffed!

I don't understand why a number of people on the Web, have negative views on Ventura CP50 bike? For the money, I'm getting alot of bike.

Going up those sloping roads is sure much easier than my f400 folding trek and my sisters Giant Roam W mountain bike. Both weigh around 15kg a piece.

The carbon frame looked very well made, throughout. Although not the highest grade, but probably comparable to bikes in the 1K bracket range.

The seat was average comfort and will be changed. I didn't like the visible staples beneath the saddle.

My R500 wheels came with the Vittoria Zaffiro tyres.

The gearshift operated smoothly throughout my 20 mile return trip.

The seat and saddle post felt pretty weighty, and I wonder if one can go lighter, on a budget?

The oem pedals looks good and provides grip, but are so heavy and feels like they are made from cast iron!

I will changing the brake blocks as others have recommended the Clark ones.

Overall, I'd recommend anyone to buy one of these at £499 or less.

One very happy chappy and sorry for the long winded post. Ever since I'm knocking on a bit, this long windedness of me is getting worst! Anyone feel the same? Hehe

Jeff

Glad your enjoying your bike!
I think the trouble is its from Argos who are not a recognised "serious" bike seller and it isn't a recognisable brand name, some people just have to have "Giant" or "Specialized" etc emblazoned across the frame. However, we can happily ride around with a smug grin on our faces knowing we didn't pay huge sums of money but still ride a good bike!
Saving weight is an expensive habit to get into, it's grammes here and there. I think the wheelset/tyres and chainset and BB would shave quite a bit off, but at what cost? With items such as seat posts and stems I think the savings would be very small for the cost.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Back up to £799 now.

jeffo50

Regular
Hi BrumJim,
Indeed the price is back to normal. I don't understand the big up and down jump, in prices, lately?

I'm glad I got mine in the nick of time. :smile:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Glad your enjoying your bike!
I think the trouble is its from Argos who are not a recognised "serious" bike seller and it isn't a recognisable brand name, some people just have to have "Giant" or "Specialized" etc emblazoned across the frame. However, we can happily ride around with a smug grin on our faces knowing we didn't pay huge sums of money but still ride a good bike!
Saving weight is an expensive habit to get into, it's grammes here and there. I think the wheelset/tyres and chainset and BB would shave quite a bit off, but at what cost? With items such as seat posts and stems I think the savings would be very small for the cost.
I think its more to do with what you call huge sums of money .

jeffo50

Regular
I've had the bike since the 27th December and have covered just over a hundred and thirty miles on my Ventura CP50, and everything is still going good. Never regretted the purchase.

I've since upgraded the seat to a Spoon, V8 Pedals, mudguards and Clarks brake blocks.

I've also stuck some clear helicopter protective tape on the CP50, to protect certain area's of the carbon fibre body from scrapes, chipping and dings etc. ....

I wouldn't hesitate buying it again, at £499.99, but if the price is back at£799.99, I'd be different and I'd be looking at other carbon bikes at around the grand mark, with better specs.

How's everyone else's CP50 getting on?

I'd love to hear of your upgrades and road experiences.

Attachments

• 20141230_150228.jpg
    20141230_150228.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom