Verenti Division

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I have the opportunity of purchasing a Verenti Division CB2.0 (2015) for £150. It has a carbon folk, Tiagra, and Hayes Dyno Sport disc brakes.

I'm 6' 3" and 17 stone. I will be using the bike for 20 mile rides that will be on a mixture of roads and gravel.

Please have a look at the attached photos and provide your feedback to whether it is a good purchase for £150, and whether is it suitable for my height and weight, and my intended usage?

Apparently, all on the bike (except for the seat and pedals) is original.
The cassette is original but it looks new to me. The seller did say he hasn't used it much but, even then, the cassette should have some discolouration. The cassette's teeth look pointy and, to my untrained eye, that's a sign of the cassette being worn. However, as the cassette is original (therefore Tiagra) should the teeth be square/blocky?
Could it be the cassette has been replaced with a cheap cassette (hence the pointy teeth)?

Any help and further thoughts, would be much appreciated?
Thank you.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 12
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 13
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 15
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 12
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 13
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 13
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 14
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 15

si_c

Guru
For £150 looks reasonable to me - assuming you then have to replace the cassette and chain. If not then it's excellent value for money - looks like a solid frame and setup for not a huge amount of money.

In terms of frame size, it's hard to tell from the photos - do you know what the frame size is? The seller should be able to provide that if it's not in the original advert. It could well be a good size for you though.

I'd budget some money to replace the saddle - those "comfy" padded saddles usually end up to be anything other than comfortable, some may prefer the term crippling.

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for your replies (and vickster again).
The seller advises it's a 59cm and says he is 6' 3". He couldn't state if that is an L, XL, or XXL. The Wiggle website states up to 56cm :ohmy:
Seeing how large the gap/space is between the top of the wheels and the top tube, tells me it is probably suitable for a 6' 3" person.
I would need to drive a good distance to view it, so I'd rather pick this forum's brains before heading out on the long journey, just in case you spot something that I should steer clear of.

It's just the cassette than concerns me. It is pristine. If it has been used, even only a little, it should have discolouration (I reckon). Does it look like a Tiagra cassette (I think the bike comes with a Tiagra cassette - it has Tiagra something)?

Does the geometry look relaxed?

Thanks.
(I've just seen my previous thread on this bike. I couldn't see it via my phone earlier - hence creating this thread - sorry)

AndyRM

XOXO
It certainly looks like a Tiagra cassette, if it had been replaced I would imagine they'd have taken off the plastic discs which sits behind it. The owner might just have kept it very clean - the whole bike certainly looks pretty sharp.

'Relaxed' geometry isn't really a thing with hybrid bikes, you'll have a 'sit up and beg' position.

Definitely a big frame, and if you're the same height as the seller you'll be fine.

OP
OP
D

dac

What is it about the cassette indicates that it is a Tiagra cassette? Can you see what I mean about pointy teeth? All the bike cassettes I've seen are more square, however I've only seen Claris.

Why do Verenti bikes go cheap? If this bike had 'Giant', 'Specialized', 'Trek', etc.. printed on the bike then, with this spec (Hydraulic brakes, partially carbon folk, and Tiagra) then this bike would be going, second-hand, for £300+, in its condition.

Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
What is it about the cassette indicates that it is a Tiagra cassette? Can you see what I mean about pointy teeth? All the bike cassettes I've seen are more square, however I've only seen Claris.

Why do Verenti bikes go cheap? If this bike had 'Giant', 'Specialized', 'Trek', etc.. printed on the bike then, with this spec (Hydraulic brakes, partially carbon folk, and Tiagra) then this bike would be going, second-hand, for £300+, in its condition.

Thanks.
Because they’re unknown by the masses and they were cheaper in the first place (as they don’t spend millions on marketing, Branding and sponsoring pro teams).

on that one, the paint job might not be to everyone’s taste , I don’t mind it but for some reason many people (esp men) want plain black, grey or silver (dull zzz)...so that’ll be making it harder to sell and hence cheaper (also the Covid bubble of a few months ago has softened as lockdown has ended, people can now do things other than ‘just’ exercise and used prices and demand have fallen a bit!)

A Tiagra cassette is 10 speed, a Claris one is 8 speed, so a different number of cogs

Last edited:

si_c

Guru

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about the tooth profile on that picture - frankly the picture quality is appalling and the angle it's been taken at means that it's impossible to draw any conclusions from it. The tooth profile that I can see doesn't look like it's a problem but I had to squint really hard to take a look at it. Best to ride it and see if it seems ok - chances are it's fine.

The brands you mention only make bikes and have invested a lot of money in their brand and in product development so their bikes can command a premium. Verenti are an in-house brand for Wiggle - who if you are unfamiliar with them are the worlds largest cycle retailer - and whilst they will be good bikes - certainly in the second hand market they are likely to be superior value to a branded frame but they won't retain their value as much.

Reactions: dac
OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks guys for your responses.
No alarms bells ring so I shall go for it.
If I've missed it then the hunt will go on, and no doubt I'll be back for advice on the next one.
Thanks all again ☺️

OP
OP
D

dac

Well, three days on and the seller has not made a response to my approach. I guess he has changed his mind.
So the search continues.... :wacko:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, three days on and the seller has not made a response to my approach. I guess he has changed his mind.
So the search continues.... :wacko:
You didn’t happen to put your phone or email number in an eBay message...if so, it’s possible the seller never got the message. Otherwise, it’s gone to the winning bidder maybe?
Presume you’ve checked it’s not been delisted?

OP
OP
D

dac

No number provided.
I don't know what's happened. I assume the offer was only made to me if the winning bidder rejected the purchase.
Oh well. There will be other bikes.
I am also noticing bikes going for a lesser price now than compared to three months ago. The longer I wait for the right bike, the better the deal might be.

Top Bottom