Very annoyed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My rear brake still hasnt been fixed, even though i took it in last week to the bike shop. That isnt what has annoyed me the most.
What has annoyed me was the person in the shop i got the bike from got on his high horse when my mum rang up to tell them. He said it isnt coverd by the gurantee, but he hasnt even looked at it. The guy from lastwek said he was going to tell the main guy about it, but never did. So the guy wants me to take the bike in. But i have to leave it there, and he doesnt know when he can fit the bike in.
I'm off from school next week, so i was hoping to be going out doing nice long rides aswell as doing the club run in the week. My mum thinks the guy might end up keeping the bike their all week to annoy me. Would be easier if he just got a new rear brake in and fitted it. Quicker and easier.
I havent got another bike to ride if its in for a couple of days either.:smile:
Damn you lucky people with more than one bike :tongue:
Not going to go back to that bike shop again.
On the good side, isnt the weather nice today. :thumbsup:

although you shouldn't have to , can you not get a more knowledgeable clubmate to have a look at it for you.
if this is the service you get from the shop i would definately go elsewhere.some of the bikeshops round here will do jobs while you wait if it's an emergency. they sound like cowboys, happy to sell but can't be bothered with aftersales service.there can't be more than a few minutes work for them to do fixing a brake, it's only a lever, cable and caliper for goodness sake.

bonj2

just buy a new one and bill them for the expense. Don't leave your bike in a shop that get on their high horse with you.
i'd be more than willing to have a look at it for you if you can get to shef one evening, although it's quite a long way on the bike and you can probably get a new one for less than the train fare.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

It stupid. I think i could fit one quicker then what they could. The fact that one person has already looked at it, should show that there is something wrong with the brake. Its already had a new cable, so its just isolated to the brake. What wil probably happen is he will spray some penetrating oil on it,get it working then it will stop working again.
The thing is, its an ex factory bike so the warrenty is with the shop not Giant. Which is probably why they dont want to do anything, because it will cost them.
I dont want to leave my bike there at all. But the guy says hes busy with other bikes so will try and find time to fit it in, which i dont think is good. I would rather have a time and date to take the bike down when it will be done.
Thanks for the offer Bonj but i cant get it to Sheffield.
If i do it myself it will probably invalidate the warrenty i have on the bike.

bonj2

hmmm... all i'd do is take it apart as much as it can possibly be, scrub each part thoroughly clean and lube it all then put it back together, possibly coming to the conclusion along the way that a certain part of it (the spring?) is f**ked.

i'd be tempted to just swallow £15 - £20 and get a new one, then communicate with the bike shop in writing demanding reimbursement, otherwise you will sue them.

OE 105s on wiggle £17.59? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...0030386&n=Shimano 105 5600 OE Rear Road Brake

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Overall Bonj it might end up being cheaper. I spent £13 last week for them to fit a new cable, and the person to fiddle with the brake.
But i know that they wont pay and it will probably invalidate my warrenty.
I personaly think the spring isnt working because it can be squeezed together so far, but after a point, when its squeezed it doesnt go back.

bonj2

a) you can keep the original brake and just put it back on if you ever need to make a warranty claim

;) what good's the warranty to you anyway if it only provides service through that one shop which are crap anyway?

just think it'd save you a lot of frustration - I know i've had situations where i've had to pay to replace something that shouldn't have conked out or that the place i bought it from/manufacturer should have paid for, and I've thought 'why the bloody hell should I pay for it?', but in the end i've just took it on the chin and after that forgotten all about it.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Your contract is always with the seller, not the manufacturer.

What's wrong with the brake?

When i brake, one side releases, the other side doesnt. So i end up going along with the rear brake on if i dont open it after, or even use the rear brake.
Good idea Bonj, i have thought about saying just look at it, and ring me when you know whats wrong with it. If all they will do is try and fix it and charge me, tell them notto bother and go to the other bike shop and get a new brake.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just a couple of simple questions about the fault.
1/ Does the cable move freely when released from the caliper?
2/ Is the centre bolt holding the caliper done up too tight so that the calipers arn't moving freely?
3/ Is the caliper centered correctly so that both calipers hit the rim at the same time?
From your last post it may be No. 3 on my list
Have a look at these things. It seems that the shop you got the bike from isn't that bothered so maybe it's time to either have another go yourself or find another LBS where they are minded to help out.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

1) Yep it does, infact the cable moves really freely, so one block ends up really far from the rim. Its a new cable aswell, and it moves real smoooth.
2)Nope. I have undone it so it is real loose, but that didnt help.
3) Yep. It can be put in the middle, and it still does it. The bike shop even set it up last week and it didnt help.
All he keeps blaiming it on is dirt in the brake which is corroding it, and that its me not cleaning it thats done it. To which i would have replied cheeking young fellow, the brake gets cleaned with a toothbrush and water after every ride.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

Its a Shimano 2200 dual pivot brake.
When i have had the brake off the bike, i can squeeze them so far, and it moves freely. I put it on the rim, but not bolted on and squeeze it, and it hardly releases. If i remember rightly i think it gets stuck. If i went down now and squeezed it with my hand then it would move freely on, but it will get stuck and not release.

Top Bottom