Very cheap new trikes. Too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Indeed @Scoosh, I am still very happy. New mudguard bracket arrived promptly as promised. So great service from the dealer. I have now clocked up just over 600 miles since it arrived and all is good. The Performer is proving to be a great little machine. (Not that little)
Best ride so far was 62 miles, which I completed with no problems whatsoever. Biggest criticism is the seat padding doesn't stay still with just the velcro supplied - but an easy fix. I have reclined the seat to the middle position and this seems to have improved stability (I have also learned to lean into bends) Turning circle remains the biggest issue with 3 point turns being required - but that's the price you pay for a LWB trike. Performer do make a SWB version too and I guess that it would be a bit more stable as well. So far, apart from putting lights, a computer, and a safety flag on the Performer, the only other modifications I have made are to fit a handlebar mounted bottle cage (the only supplied mount is on the back of the seat, where I could only reach it by stopping and unclipping) and to fit a silicone rubber parking brake strap.
So yes, I would definitely recommend a Performer trike to anyone in the market to buy a recumbent.

Please note.... I have no practical knowledge of these machines, but frequent a few US base websites, so am "aware" of the brand. This information is offered for advce only

I do not have sufficient knowledge to either personally condemn or support the brand

The company's website is at Performer

They are Taiwanese and have a fan base in the US

Bent Rider gives a favourable review

There is also a video review by Utah Trikes that gives some close up detail

However as above..... I am not endorsing.

GrasB

Veteran
My other half has a performer, it's a pre-shrunk Azub Eco clone which we picked up second hand, being designed for children the seat is lower & the frame being smaller suits her better. It's not that light or the frame that stiff in the boom area but it has quality & solid written all over it.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Performer appear to have expanded their range (on their website) to include alloy or steel frames, suspension, folding and a variety of models ... :unsure:

Glad you are happy and enjoying yours @mrandmrspoves :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, built to a price with such as Tektro brake parts and Kenda tyres, while not fashionable both are up to the job, and upgradable in the future should you wish. As in all things imported 'Tax Paid' you are in the hands of HMRC as to other charges, you may be unlucky like me, I seem to get popped for any purchase from out of the EU, maybe the Post Office and HMRC know where I live?

NAH! Not in the case of the Post Office anyway!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Certainly built to a price point. The Tektro Novela mechanical discs are quite good and do have the integrated bell in the brake lever.
Mine came equipped with Michelin City tyres rather than Kenda ones. I must say (and no doubt will wish I hadn't tempted fate in the near future!) so far they have proved to be very good. I was forced to ride through two lots of broken glass last week, and with a 50% greater risk of having a deflation I was pretty sure I was going to do so - but amazingly no damage at all. Gears on mine are Shimano Acera but there is a 3X 10 Tiagra - upgrade, which also upgrades the brakes to Avid BB5 for not a huge amount extra.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's a lot of money to pay if you are not 100% certain that they are of a very good standard and will do the job.

Steve

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It's a lot of money to pay if you are not 100% certain that they are of a very good standard and will do the job.

Steve
Very true - but no new company will have a good name initially. The reviews I read before I purchased mine reassured me that I would get a good value for money product and I have. When you consider the different models and possible upgrades, I think they are certainly worth consideration. If money were no object I would probably have bought something different like a Trice - but the price of a brand new Trice is more than I would pay for a car.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
It seems like there's a new dealer for Performer based in Lincolnshire. (As seen when browsing on eBay)

I think I may have dreamed this as I cannot find any trace of the dealer now! (But had great service from Steve A1 Adventuresports in Australia!)

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Just an update.....I have .now covered over 1,500 miles on the A1 Performer. 2nd Mudguard bracket snapped at the weekend when I hit a pothole, but everything else has been perfect. The dealer is sending me another replacement bracket and tells me he has never heard of another bracket snapping. I think the bracket is too flimsy for the job and have just made my own from an old gate hinge. The Michelin City tyres have performed brilliantly - no deflations despite having ridden over brambles and glass on a few occasions. Here's a picture from today when I had a round trip of 47 miles to the coast. I hit 37 mph on a hill coming home - my fastest yet!

Attachments

• 10678029_10152773410793530_698274166_o.jpg
    10678029_10152773410793530_698274166_o.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 125
Top Bottom