Very cheap new trikes. Too good to be true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
^^that

I'm still tempted by a 'bent trike, but SWMBO is pretty anti the idea, worried about them being less visible..

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
^^that

I'm still tempted by a 'bent trike, but SWMBO is pretty anti the idea, worried about them being less visible..
Well, if a driver can see traffic cones on the road and read road markings, they should be able to see a 'bent - especially as we usually have a flag on a pole, making our high point considerably higher than most cars !

I have yet to hear of a 'bent rider who says they get passed closer than on a DF bike. They also make people smile and wave ! ^_^

Last edited:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
^^that

As Scoosh says. Recumbents stand out, people notice them - so they react. A trike, forces you to ride in primary position (out into the road a little) and that's where car drivers look. Car drivers don't see cyclists when they are in their peripheral vision - because they are looking for the car in front. If you drive a car, you will know that you see things like mice running across the road in front of you - and my trike is a lot bigger than a mouse! Motorists often squeeze past cycles when there is oncoming traffic - but in 2 years of riding a recumbent I haven't been squeezed once. Also you can't fall off if you hit a patch of gravel. I started riding a recumbent trike because I could no longer ride a bike - now, I wouldn't go back to a bike even if I could.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, the common and wrong perception. 'How do they see you down there?'

Back in the days pre 2008 when I rode uprights, a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike. I was always shocked when I got back on an upright after one of the 'bents by the close passes DFs get every day. It's the WTF? factor. (Translation of WTF is not work safe but available by pm if you can't work it out!)

Drivers see you on a recumbent because you stand out. Many people have never seen one so react to you with more caution and consideration. The effect in the real world is drivers holding back rather than passing close in a narrow situation as they perceive you as much wider than a bike. In fact the difference is a couple of inches at most, on a bike my shoulders are the widest part of the bike, on the trike the wheels and mirrors stick out a little further than me.

GrasB

Veteran
As others have said recumbents in general have high visibility because they're different. I've had some idiot blaring their horn as they pass on the opposite site of a transit van only to have them yell at me. Apparently they couldn't see me because I was too low. All I could do was :rofl:.

OP
OP
BlackPanther

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
^^that

Add a flag, high viz, and take a commanding road position for added peace of mind, but you WILL be seen on a recumbent. Since swapping from a DF 3 years ago, my 'near passes' have gone from 2 or 3 a week down to maybe one idiot a month, and that's doing 25 miles per day on busy A and B roads. I'm prepared to put this in writing, sign it and post it to your Missus if this is the only thing stopping you taking the plunge;) Show her my video if she needs convincing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu_-mVUS8Zk&list=UUoZNFZMOsaTfand1uZoVowg

In fact I'd go as far as to say that some motorists give me TOO MUCH ROOM, sometimes endangering oncoming traffic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_ZE0LrOrc&index=23&list=UUoZNFZMOsaTfand1uZoVowg

The only thing that could prove more dangerous is when filtering, or emerging near parked cars, but as long as you're cautious and slow down when necessary it's not a problem.

I would not go back to regular commuting on a df.

Last edited:

GrasB

Veteran
Add a flag, high viz, and take a commanding road position for added peace of mind, but you WILL be seen on a recumbent.
I'd drop the flag personally. I've not found a need for one but in close traffic I've had instances where people have driven around the flag not me!

The only thing that could prove more dangerous is when filtering, or emerging near parked cars, but as long as you're cautious and slow down when necessary it's not a problem.
Then you just look under the cars!

starhawk

I don't know what some people have against flags ?! I have two flags and a pennant, I like the looks of two flagposts with flags on the trike and it makes me visible as a bonus, better safe than sorry!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
IMG_20140910_124525.jpg
Gotta have a flag!

The visibility is a difficult preconception to overcome..... I use the Transit example

Every time a Ford Transit enters the traffic queue it makes all vehicles in front invisible.

The majority of drivers cannot see the vehicle two in front for a majority of the time, and manage without hitting them!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I like the smilie face flag, where's it form? Want one!

I was searching for something bright and colourful on eBay...... and they all claimed to be Gay! Not sure why colourful= gay but didn't want to run the risk of being attacked by a bunch of homophones. (Is there a collective noun for a bunch of homophobes or should we make one?)
Finally found smiley. It was originally 3 x 2 so needed trimming and sewing - but I think it was a bargain at £4 delivered - and it spreads the message - Triking is fun!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=250680563761&alt=web

GrasB

Veteran
I don't know what some people have against flags ?! I have two flags and a pennant, I like the looks of two flagposts with flags on the trike and it makes me visible as a bonus, better safe than sorry!
I'd say 70-90% of drivers on the road are unobservant & lazy. When they see the flag they don't look at the bike, so drive round the flag not the bike. So most drivers overtaking me will start to pull in when the back of their car is about level with my shoulder. This is fine when you've got a high speed difference but I tend to be going a fair bit quicker than most, the result is that I end up braking to stop the overtaking car hitting my legs. This phenomenon stops as soon as I don't use a flag.

Top Bottom