Very close pass...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Actually, that's a fair point. Things will be different in Thailand, i.e. the rules of the road will be different. If that road were in the UK though, would you ride further out?

When I first cycled in Thailand I did not realise that if someone flashed their lights at you, they are telling you to stop, not proceed. That nearly put pay to my holiday on day one.

It used to be the case that you could buy a driving licence in Thailand without actually driving!

I was also told that riding at night, outside cities/towns would be suicide due to the amount of drunk drivers...

OP
OP
M

magnatom

When I first cycled in Thailand I did not realise that if someone flashed their lights at you, they are telling you to stop, not proceed. That nearly put pay to my holiday on day one.

It used to be the case that you could buy a driving licence without actually driving!

I was also told that riding at night, outside cities/towns would be suicide due to the amount of drunk drivers...

Aye, we do moan a bit about the roads here, but compared to some parts of the world, it's bliss! :smile:

When I first cycled in Thailand I did not realise that if someone flashed their lights at you, they are telling you to stop, not proceed.

In the UK, the flashing of lights means 'Warning. I am here.' It does not, nor has it ever, have the meaning of 'Please proceed'. Unfortunately, most road users are not aware/have forgotten this fact.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Best action if you want to invite another driver to proceed is to do absolutely nothing and give them time and space. If you gesture that it's OK and s(he) has an accident somebody might have a go at blaming you (they'd be wrong).

Origamist

Legendary Member
In the UK, the flashing of lights means 'Warning. I am here.' It does not, nor has it ever, have the meaning of 'Please proceed'. Unfortunately, most road users are not aware/have forgotten this fact.

This is my point. What is written in the HC or the Thai rules of the road does not necessarily correspond to the realities of driving/riding where various signals are (often incorrectly) deployed and can be interpreted in multifarious ways. You need to understand both the law/HC and the differences in driving behaviour/etiquette in foreign climes - I did not...

It used to be the case that you could buy a driving licence in Thailand without actually driving!

Wow didn't know that...although it never happened to me in all the time I cycled out there.May be useful for next year as im doing a tour.

Top Bottom