Very close police car overtake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oncoming Traffic? There was none.

Panda? That's a very large "panda" car there... I have to say I assume(d) it's a traffic driver... (do you know/have reasoning for this?)

User3143 said:
The principle still applies.

They didn't

A specific distance is the safety limit.
They got closer...
They pushed that safety margin too far, remembering that they are travelling at higher speed than a normal car would as well.

Maybe if you explain yoruself better, but Police running on blue lights are trained to drive safe at speed etc, not to allow them to take unsafe manoeuvres...

No matter how good a driver they are... it doesn't change how safe it was for BM to be in that position...

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I thought it might be traffic too, given the extra reflectives on the back. Dunno really, I'll ask my mate. Better hope it's not one of my neighbours - two of them work in Catford station.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Even if I'd been standing on the edge of the pavement as a pedestrian and they bombed through that close, I'd be shook up. To pass that close to a stationary bike in the gutter is appalling, IMVHO.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
GrasB said:
It's an absolutely disgraceful piece of driving from someone who has been trained to a high level of competency & completely inappropriate for a high speed pass like that to be made. If it has to be that close then they slow down or if they can go wider they should.

+1, was not expecting to see that... especially after you'd come to a stop

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
BentMikey said:
I thought it might be traffic too, given the extra reflectives on the back. Dunno really, I'll ask my mate. Better hope it's not one of my neighbours - two of them work in Catford station.

Isn't catford part of lewisham and not bromley?
Is it normal for coppers to be that far out of there districts?

Crankarm

Guru
The cop probably didn't see you that is why he passed close. He was probably on an emergency run to deliver a birthday card or collect DVDs and pizzas, distracted as he/she was arguing with his/her partner over who wanted which topping and which film to get :biggrin:. Catford btw is an awful area.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Completely unacceptable driving IMO.
Yes, there's oncoming traffic but as a trained professional, allowance should've been made for the fact there was quite likely to be, given his speed and the fact he's approaching a junction.
I don't see why he was so far inside the White lane whilst overtaking?
No point kiling somebody to attend an emergency call...

GrasB

Veteran
I've just seen this:

Ben Lovejoy said:
If they had run wider, and then been forced to swerve by the oncoming traffic, things would have been a whole lot less controllable.
You drive to the what ifs not what usually happens & at that kind of passing distance with 40+mph speed difference is to close end of story. There's no justifying that kind of overtake, it's simply unacceptable. If the driver had to pass that close to keep in control of his vehicle then they were driving to fast for the conditions. In fact the driver could have done a much wider double S pass which would have kept the car in good balance & given BM a very comfortable gap.

Being able to place a car accurately to within a few inches doesn't mean you can pass objects very closely it means you can place the car on the road far more accurately & thus you can give more space while continuing to retain a fine degree of control & balance in the vehicle.

Top Bottom