Very high average heart rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theFire

Veteran
My average is normally around 160-170bpm and goes to a max of about 200. Similar age / weight to you and thats with cycling regularly cycling for the last 18+ months.

I do tend to push myself while riding.

I mentioned it to a nurse recently (when changing doctors) and she seemed surprised when I told her my heart often gets up to 180bpm but didnt seem concerned. She was however concerned about my 38bpm resting heart rate and i've been referred!

I'm not too worried about the high exercise rate or low resting heart rate myself because I feel fine in myself in both cases. But like others have said, if you think its too high see a doctor. You have nothing to lose if everything is fine but a lot to gain if they find something early!

OP
OP
D

DanielK

What kind history have you got for exercise and endurance/aerobic based stuff?

If it's been a while, it might be better to try for less intensity (ie no hills if possible), more often and less distance say 10 miles three days a week? When that feel manageable then add a longer ride on top of that.

One of my mistakes was upping my amount of cycling when I first got into it- just rinsed myself out and made me ill over time. Not good, take your time with it and build up a good base fitness.

Only the last 3 months of riding. 2 x 30mile rides a week, before that 10+ years ago running for my school. 10 miles would be too short for me, maybe i should back down on the intensity of my rides, i tried cycling at 165bpm, but it was just too easy, didnt seem right, but maybe that how it should be. Im confused lol.

OP
OP
D

DanielK

You probably need to ride more than twice a week (of slightly less distances) and take it easy to warm up as if your first hour is tough then maybe try and ease into it a bit more?

Yes i think you may be right, i spent only 11 seconds of the ride at the warm up heart rate lol. Im going to give that a go next ride. :smile:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
This is it... the too easy bit.

A lot of people getting into a new sport whether it be running or cycling tend to push themselves stupidly hard to begin with. It's not necessary, don't punish yourself, if you keep revving the engine you're just going to furr it up. Maybe back down on the intensity? How about reduce the intensity, you're not fit enough to be cycling at super intense speeds at three months in esp if your last running was over ten years ago and incorporate more shorter rides and a longer 30/40 miler? Low intensity...then when you've got that down up one of them to be more intensive whilst keeping the rest easy going.

OP
OP
D

DanielK

This is it... the too easy bit.

A lot of people getting into a new sport whether it be running or cycling tend to push themselves stupidly hard to begin with. It's not necessary, don't punish yourself, if you keep revving the engine you're just going to furr it up. Maybe back down on the intensity? How about reduce the intensity, you're not fit enough to be cycling at super intense speeds at three months in esp if your last running was over ten years ago and incorporate more shorter rides and a longer 30/40 miler? Low intensity...then when you've got that down up one of them to be more intensive whilst keeping the rest easy going.

I can very well see you point, but it really doesn't feel hard after the first hour, but maybe my tolerance is different. Another weird thing is i only needed to drink about 300ml of water, im like a camel!

I'm definitely going to ride slower for the first hour, and warm up, see if the first hour feels better. Ill do shortly rides and one long one too, ill see how it goes :smile: ty.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
well if it's the first hour then warm up properly.

Bear in mind if you approach cycling in the right way and take your time with it, you'll be cycling well for years - push yourself too hard and you might inflict injuries or illness on yourself so take it easy and build up slowly- I reckon it's your warming up.

Good luck and have fun, do check the HR issues with the GP though, just to be on the safe side.

Just bin the heart rate monitor and listen to your body instead. You should be able to ride along comfortably most of the time at a speed where you could hold a conversation if you wanted to. If you are out of breath other than on hills you are probably going to fast.

My guess is that your max HR is probably a bit higher than 199, but either way, the numbers are not particularly shocking. If your heart wasn't happy working that hard (which incidentally, isn't actually that hard), it would have told you by now. Unless you are genuinely concerned about your health, or you have some pre-existing heart condition, I would just carry on.

The other consideration is that your HRM (I've never heard of 'wahoo') might not be accurate.

montage

God Almighty
Just for a piece of mind...My max is 206 and I hold and average of 198bpm when time trialing. Some people just have higher heart rates.

Yeh i don't see a problem with the measurements you have mentioned. End of the day though if you have any doubt then you can always have a check up. What is it they say? "Always consult your doctor before starting an exercise regime". GP's would be very very busy people indeed.........
FYI my resting HR is 40. Max around 185 (give or take 5% depending on variables) and average is around 165-170 when i am pushing it over a decent period of time. On something short like a time trial it can easily sit at 175-180 for the duration.

If you don't see your GP then just listen to your body. It's giving you messages all the time.

ushills

Veteran
I also have quite a high HR and always have, generally over an hour it around the 184 average using a polar HRM. My resting HR is 48.

Went for a ride last week with a mate and while I was at 185 he was at 135, we were both able to talk and pushing along at the same pace. During a spinning class about 3 years ago I was pushing hard and spinning along at 202 for about 5 mins.

Try to set your training using the Karvonion(sp) method as this uses your HR range and not the 220-age.
PS my HR rises to 90 when just walking around the house.

amaferanga

Veteran
Regarding improvement, if you're just doing the same thing week in week out then you will quickly plateau. If you're just riding for fun then perhaps it doesn't matter to you, but then the fact that you bought a HR monitor suggests otherwise. You should start doing some longer rides at slightly lower intensity and combine that with rides of 1-2 hours of higher intensity. You need to shock your body to force adaptions and continue to improve. try to do at least 3 or 4 rides a week if possible - at least one longer ride and 2-3 shorter high intensity rides.

Top Bottom