Very High Heart Rate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Summat in the Mail about this today. Above 80 bpm resting means you will die earlier or something. Be summat else next week.

Red wine?

PyqQLQAx1d7DU8qb1xQTrAX00lUOdW9VdTNzP8K94wxF7Xb_1uDLrK8VA3IcUg4c_I6hasuTcZ8=s960.jpg

(a little boulder)

huwsparky

Über Member
I'm 34 and have a Max of 198bpm. I have about 4.5k miles of hr data since I started riding just over a year ago. My avarage hr when I ride alone hasn't really altered despite gaining fitness. However, the speed I can go at that effort has. For your reference my avarage is usually between 160 and 165. I find that it's pretty much impossible to train on HR despite trying, it can just be so variable from my experience.

Like Citius says, don't ever compare to anyone else as it means nothing to you in any useful way. I have a friend who I sometimes ride with who also wears a hrm. His avarage is usually around 140 and so is mine when we ride together. Difference is he's close to his maximum effort but I can maintain that HR all day easily.

At the end of the day everyone is different.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Cheers for all the replies guys. Whilst I can't compare between people, I have found all replies useful, thanks. :smile:

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Such is very true!

The important question here is why one needs to monitor heart rate.
It provides an indication on whether you are exercising to your maximum capacity. On the other hand, can you do better. That kind of information is important, in my opinion, to those who undertakes competitive sports.
I cycle for pleasure, although I occasionally ride with a club, I am just happy to be with the group rather than be the best of the group. All other health benefits it brings are secondary to me. So I do not monitor my heart rate.
Believe me, you do know when you exceed your heart rate without monitoring, You just have to stop and otherwise you will just drop off the bike. I have experienced it twice, once cycling in Albania, climbing 10% hill for nearly 5 Km and on second occasion while climbing 17% hill on Switzerland.
So my simple advice is leave it at home and just enjoy your ride.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got an HRM a few years ago. It ended up with my having appointments at cardiology to check on high exercising heart rates and ended with my binning the thing and not worrying about it.
I did the same. It was quite fun looking at my missed heatbeats though. Since I had a spot of re-plumbing, that seems to have gone away according to my BP gizmo.

Recently got a HRM and been testing during a few rides. At 38, the guideline max heart rate should be 182. On an almost all out 20 mile ride I can easily average 184, with peaks higher than that. Did a casual ride on Sunday and hit 202 on a hill. Also did the Zwift FTP test last week and maxed at 204 towards the end. Heart rate is always around 170 when on the bike averaging 16-17mph cruising.

I don't feel bad when riding at all and never light headed or in pain. Do I need to worry about this high heart rate?

Anyone else seeing their heart rate this high?
Nothing to worry about, the formula is cr@p according to it I'm 18 not just about to turn 40 :okay:
Its all down to the individual though, Ive a mate half my age who smashes me in training, he peaks under 170bpm.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I bought the HRM as part of a kit with Garmin 520. The plan is to use a few rides to find my parameters and then use it for pacing uphill. Want to try out going easier to start and keeping an equal pace on a climb rather than too fast or too slow and overall being slower. Almost like a cheap power meter.

I don't have to be the best, and never will be, but like challenging myself @midliferider.

huwsparky

Über Member
I bought the HRM as part of a kit with Garmin 520. The plan is to use a few rides to find my parameters and then use it for pacing uphill. Want to try out going easier to start and keeping an equal pace on a climb rather than too fast or too slow and overall being slower. Almost like a cheap power meter.

I don't have to be the best, and never will be, but like challenging myself @midliferider.
It won't work. Sorry to break it to you! HR is just too variable to pace yourself from.

I don't know enough about using a power meter for training (I'm learning slowly though) but I've used an HRM of one form or another for over 20 years across various sports and consider it a pretty much indispensable training aid. Depending on my session goals working to a planned HR range makes a big difference to the results. As a slightly bizarre side-effect I can also now spot the oncoming of a couple of ailments by differences in my HR from my own 'normal' for a well understood exercise set...but that's just because I've been keeping records for ages and managed to correlate a few things.

In my experience whilst it's true you can do a lot by 'feel', smart use of an HRM can tell you when you've actually got a little extra in the tank or should maybe throttle back a bit. I think of it as just getting a little extra physiological insight.

Top Bottom