Very nearly got ripped of this morning.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Received an Email about tv licence and like a fool nearly paid it. Beware this is a scam Email and i am sure i will not be the only one to get it. At present the tv licence help line is not open, so check before paying or entering your bank details online.

Dear Customer,

Your TV Licence will expire !!! You must renew it now, or additional fees will be applied.

We are sorry to let you know that your TV Licence could not be automatically renewed.Something went wrong with your Direct Debit payment.
Something went wrong with your Direct Debit payment
Remember, you need to let us know if your personal information changes or switch to another bank

Click Here To Update

Please take care of this straight away or we may be forced to pass your details to a debt collection agency.
Please keep this email safe, because it tells you how to access your licence online.
Keep this email safe, because it helps you to access your licence online. Thank you!
TV Licensing
© 2020 TV LicensingAbout us | Contact us | Accessibility

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Yep, we get this one frequently - just ignore it.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
MrsPete gets these and I've taught her how to report them as phishing. Luckily, we know it's a fib because we don't have a TV licence...
But, yes, they do look quite convincing!

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Oh, and one other: if you float your cursor over any link, the address you're actually linking to will generally pop up on the lower left corner of your screen:

1588841372811.png

If it reads something like jerseyshoreunleashed.com, dodginess is to be assumed. (As a rider, don't assume the opposite - that if it looks right, it is; only that if it looks a wrong'un, don't touch it with a barge pole.)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've had some dodgy looking ones from "Amazon" asking me to update the payment card - no, it's got 2 years left before it runs out. Be very careful as loads of it flying about at the moment.

dodgy

Those 3 exclamation marks after the first sentence :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Lots of phishy clues in that one:

- "Dear Customer" - TV Licensing will know your name
- "Your TV Licence will expire !!!" - three exclamation marks!!! Three!! Must be important!!!
- "...could not be automatically renewed.Something went wrong..." - no space after the full-stop. Not impossible for a legit mails to do this, but highly unlikely
- hover over the link and see what the url is. Nothing to do with TV Licencing

Assume all such mails are phishing unless you can convince yourself they are real. Do this by contacting the relevant authority through know legitimate routes (website, phone number etc).

D

Deleted member 26715

I followed the link (I'm not bothered) my browser (Chrome) immediately told me that the link wasn't safe & I had to confirm that I did indeed want to go there. Once there the top left corner gives you another idea that it's fake, UK Gov would not be using an Indian domain name.

You should always check the URL to make sure it makes sense.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As has already been said, loads of grammatical errors which set off the warning klaxons (never mind alarm bells).
They are all fake, all of them! I have had to ban Mrs Skol from replying to such things after she signed up to receive a £200 Sainsbury's shopping voucher via a link a 'friend' sent her on Facebook and I also caught her trying to register for an unexpected tax rebate from HMRC (Who very strangely seem to use an agent in China to manage their refunds :whistle:).
She's a clever woman but not nearly suspicious enough. I'll say it again, THEY ARE ALL FAKE!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've had some dodgy looking ones from "Amazon" asking me to update the payment card - no, it's got 2 years left before it runs out. Be very careful as loads of it flying about at the moment.

That one got me I'm ashamed to say... ashamed because I do know better and I'm aware of all the tricks and how they con people, and it's the only time in my life I didn't spot it. My only defence was that it was very early, I'd just woken up and I'd ordered things from Amazon the previous night so some conscious bias crept in. I clicked on the link without checking, the "Amazon" sign in page was spotless and utterly convincing, I put in my password and it was only when the next page asked for more personal details (including bank account details as a "security precaution") that I woke up properly because they'd never ask that.

No harm done thankfully as I changed my password on the official site instantly, but I then had to go changing passwords all over the place to ensure everything was definitely disassociated with that compromised PW, which was time consuming.

Just shows that even if you're fraud savvy, we're all capable of letting our guard down, that second is all it takes.

Top Bottom