Very overweight bloke riding a Voodoo Bizango 29er?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Just been looking at the bizango and the bizango carbon so this thread is perfect I’m currently 24 and a bit stone an just hit 40 and need to lose some beef used to cycle loads as a kid but stopped 20.+ years ago so looking to buy a new bike to start my fitness kick
Pretty much any hardtail MTB would suit and will help raise your fitness and make you healthier. Won't necessarily help hugely with the weight loss though - that's largely dietary.

12boy

Guru
A diet high in protein and vegetables but low in carbs will help burn fat and will keep you feeling full. Drink lots of water, as oftentimes what is perceived as hunger is actually thirst.
The good thing about low impact activities like swimming or cycling is they are kinder to knees, ankles, feet and backs than high impact exercise. I have found it fairly easy to start an activity and before I am conditioned to it and really enjoy it, I've hurt myself and have to quit for a while. Resistance training is also good....recovering from a pelvis broken in 3 places I became very familiar with stretchy band exercises which are much cheaper than weights and can be tailored to different body areas. 30 minutes a day will help strengthen you to avoid injuries and can ramp up your metabolism for hours afterwards. Good to have a variety of exercise choices so bad weather doesn't slow you down and so when one part of your body is tired, you can work another. Fitbits and smart watches can help you set goals and monitor your performance.
As far a wheels go, a wheel built up by a bike shop with 48 high quality spokes, such as used by tandems, should work just fine, especially with larger volume tires. I like cartridge bearing hubs because they require zero maintenance and are very durable. Good luck in your endeavors.

jmarchitect

A google search brought me to this thread, so I’ve registered on what looks to be a great forum. I’ve been caning around sketchy single tracks on my Voodoo Bizango for the last year and have only just popped two spokes on my rear wheel. I’m an 18.5 stone ex rugby player and power lifter and I’m surprised the wheel lasted as long as it did as it would appear the wheels are only suitable for 90kg. I hope the OP is enjoying getting back into cycling.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Welcome to the site...

Two years ago I was in the same boat as you, I was 136KG when I got my Scott Sub Cross 10 which I then read was rated at 120KG so I was worried that I would have all sorts of issues ... speaking to people in bike shops and on here I was told that the bike would be fine, and if anything the wheels would be a issue..

Two years later (touch wood) my only issue is I had a couple of spokes break, now that may have been down to the weight, the rubbish roads that I use around here, country lanes that are not well maintained with ruts. and badly filled in pot holes or a combination of both...

With the aid of the gym 4 times a week, when they were open, diet and using the bike at weekends the last count at my diabetic check up was 108KG and no longer Type 2 diabetic... that was last September so I hope to be lighter now...

Best thing I did was get my bike, now off work on furlough I have done 14 miles each morning around the same country lanes for the last two weeks, and love it..

Just get out and enjoy it ... :smile:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
We don’t know if the OP ever got back into cycling as he only lasted 3 days on the site :sad:. Hope you last rather longer :smile:.

If it's any consolation im 25 stone down from 27. Im not quite riding yet due to a joint pain flare up but i have been controlling my diet by lowering carbs in an attempt to lower insulin which has many jobs but it is also a fat storing hormone. I was once 19 stone, 22 stone etc etc Its crazy how it gets away from you and its good to get it now before it becomes a runaway issue... Its great that you are taking up biking again. Good luck to you.
What bike do you ride mate going to try and buy my bike

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
What bike do you ride mate going to try and buy my bike
I have a second hand Chinese Fat Bike. Its Steel and heavy but its not a fast bike and never was going to be. Mine is actually this bike https://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=69&product_id=13172419

There are variants of it out there on ebay i believe. Is it a brilliant bike? No. But i haven't broken anything, not even a spoke. Its 26 inch rim that is 3-4 inches wide that also has 36 spokes is going to be strong. Not only that the thickness of the tyres means even further protection for the rim...

My logic has paid off, but its a noisy ride with the tyres going down the road...

Better quality fat bikes are available at a higher cost, i believe Norco have a fat bike for around the £700 mark, i think called 'bigfoot'...

Top Bottom