Very overweight woman...is this bike right for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red Rock

Hi everyone. I am very overweight ( not gonna say how much lol) but trust me, I could do with losing 7 stones. and I bought an Electra Townie 3 Light 6061. The tyres are 2.1-2.3 width. I had done my research and it seemed that this bike would be OK to support my weight. I am disabled so all other exercise is out of the question. I really want to get started with my cycling to help with my weight loss.
However, once I sit on the bike the wheels look like they are flat.
I'm scared to go out incase my tyres burst and I damage the bike.
Could you all give me your opinions regarding this bike. Have I bought the wrong one? Any advice will be great fully received.
Thanks in advance everyone.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Hi Red Rock - welcome to CycleChat!
I'd think the first thing to check is that the tyres are pumped up hard enough - anyone sitting on a bike will make the tyres look flat if there isn't enough air in them.

OP
OP
R

Red Rock

Hiya.
Well, the bike tyres say pressure should be between 2.8 and 4.0. I have 3.3 in them, and physically cannot put anymore air in, even my hubby tried, but when we try to put more in it resists us, it's like no more air can go in. Does this sound normal?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
A puncture won't damage the bike but a blowout while you're sat on it can be a bit nerve wracking.

Agree with the above, I'm not familiar with that bike but assuming from the tyre width its a mountain bike style.

We had a member on here who started cycling at 39 stone and made a tremendous success of shrinking down until he developed MS and had to give up.

https://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

Welcome by the way and enjoy your bike.

Edit: Are you using a bike pump or car pump?

Doobiesis

Über Member
Have a look on the side wall of the tyres, it should state the maximum tyre pressure, pump them up to the max they should be ok. You may need a track pump with a pressure gauge, something like this;
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-joe-blow-max-ii-track-pump/

Exactly what I was about to suggest. Maybe once you know tyres are at right pressure, you can either cycle in the garden or go out to a quiet road or car park and practice. You'll get your confidence up that way, I don't think you should be worried about tyres bursting tbh. I've never heard that happen.

simon.r

Person
Hiya.
Well, the bike tyres say pressure should be between 2.8 and 4.0. I have 3.3 in them, and physically cannot put anymore air in, even my hubby tried, but when we try to put more in it resists us, it's like no more air can go in. Does this sound normal?

I'd guess that's bar? 4 bar is about 60psi and should be easy to reach with a reasonable track pump. If you're trying with a mini-pump you may well struggle.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I am using a Halfords High Volume Bike pump. I'm guessing that's not the best option?
No ;)

There are pumps and there are pumps. Topeak and Lezyne do good quality mini type pumps for on the bike. My topeak pocket rocket can get 100psi into a road bike tyre.

You could invest in a track pump (floor mounted and pump from above) for home use or if you have Schraeder (car type) valves, a car tyre pump will do.

Top Bottom