Very stupid question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
threebikesmcginty said:
Gosh, that's an exicing life you lead Arch.
Don't let that diary out of your sight - it's dynamite!!! :biggrin:

:biggrin: LOL!

Really, that is about the most exciting thing in it...

Well, someone reckons they might have a used 7spd rear mech I can have, so I'll see how that goes (at least it won't cost). But thanks all for the advice, and meanwhile:

Looking at cantilever brakes, they all seem to be billed as cyclo-x, but theysare just the sort my tourer has aren't they? I forgot of course, that 'road' kit means racy, so "Brakes - Road" tend to be callipers... And it I buy brakes, will they come with straddle wires and so on? I know I could just go and wave a wad at the LBS, but I don't have a wad to wave, so I'm looking online. Any recommendations on types/brands?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Arch
IIRC Galaxy's had canti bosses from about 1986 onwards.

I have one from 1987 with the old Deore wide canti brakes (that look a bit like the Tektro CR720) - with good pads you'll struggle to find anything more efficient. Some people prefer V brakes but personally I think there is little advantage.

If your Galaxy is later (after Shimano went to the narrower cantis) then Cyclo-X brakes are definitely what you want.

I've not tried them but I like the looke of the Kore ones, as they use V-brake pads and allow for better adjustment. Whatever you get - change the pads for Kool-Stops. Yes I know they expensive, but a) they work & :ohmy: they won't damage your rims.

Straddle wires - if not supplied, £2.99 from Halfrauds if LBS can't help you.

bonj2

Arch said:
This is probably a very stupid question, but I've nobly decided to post it here rather then PM someone who won't laugh at me, at least not to my face.

I'm going to need a new rear mech for my Galaxy rebuild. I've looked on Wiggle and CRC, just browsing, and all the mechs seem to say 9 or 10 or 11 speed, (or not specify). Mine's a 7 spd and I haven't seen any that specified 7. Is the 9 or 10 etc a maximum, or specific? How wrong could I get it?

Also, for some of them, HOW MUCH!!!!!

will this work?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-...r-Derailleur--Long-Cage--Direct-Fit-14760.htm

Alf

Guru
If you have Shimano 7 speed at present, Arch, any of the current Shimano deraillers would be fine in that they will shift between the gears by the right amount - no issue there at all. If you are sticking with a 13-30 cassette, then as has been pointed out, you are going to need a long cage. You might get away with a long cage 105 but you would be better with any of the mountain bike ones - Alivio, Deore, XT, etc since they have even longer cages than the road oriented stuff like the 105. You would have to watch the front derailler because one designed for road use is shaped for the larger chain rings of the road chainsets. A 105 triple front mech would work on a 24-36-46 chainset but not as well as the mountain bike ones. If you are looking at CRC, you can always ask them a question about compatibility with the kit you want to use it with. I think they have a button - 'ask a question about this product'. Or at least they used to.

Alf

02GF74

Über Member
my 2p worth.

as far as I know, all chains up to 8 speed were same width. 9 speed is narrower and 10 speed is narrower still.

I am using 9 speed rear shifter on an 8 speed system without any problems whatsoever. I have no idea if a 10 speed shifter will work.

Top Bottom