Very very Annoyed!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
So Garmin have terminated support for uploading files to Connect WITHOUT using their software. I can no longer upload directly via the FIT file, so this effectively locks out anyone with a non supported OS, such as Linux.

After 4yrs of using Garmin connect it looks like I'm going to have to terminate my account. Keeping a manual upload feature is such a simple thing to do, I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind this move...

Garmin ...you SUCK.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
It seems unnecessary, can you upload to other sites instead? Think Strava, Map My Ride, Ride With GPS etc..

There is a web app that will allow you to synchronise your ride data across many different platforms, maybe this is an alternative (although I admit it's a real faff if you have to do all this work each time you ride..)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
So Garmin have terminated support for uploading files to Connect WITHOUT using their software. I can no longer upload directly via the FIT file, so this effectively locks out anyone with a non supported OS, such as Linux.

After 4yrs of using Garmin connect it looks like I'm going to have to terminate my account. Keeping a manual upload feature is such a simple thing to do, I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind this move...

Garmin ...you SUCK.

I'm sure that they won't lose sleep over your boycott.

KneesUp

Guru
Garmin are awful for making you do things in a specific way.

My old car sat nav used to update through a secure connection on a web-browser, so you could do it on any computer that recognised it was plugged in via USB.

When I replaced it I discovered the new one needed to run Garmin software to update. And the software had to run on Windows (which I don't have) or a newer version of OSX than my otherwise perfectly usable iMac will run. And that's progress over the web based system, apparently.

Nowhere on the box or in the link provided on the box did it say you needed a specific operating system to update the thing. Support weren't much help and basically told me to buy a new computer. I found their old version of the update software that does work on my mac with google.

When this sat nav dies it will be replaced by one made by someone else.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android

KneesUp

Guru
None of which Garmin bothered to tell me in the course of about a dozen emails from support ...

Nor does relying on the community to create a project to solve a problem excuse them from creating it in the first place - the web-based solution worked. Why change to a solution that is OS specific and requires users to install extra software? What benefit is that to the customer?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
None of which Garmin bothered to tell me in the course of about a dozen emails from support ...

Nor does relying on the community to create a project to solve a problem excuse them from creating it in the first place - the web-based solution worked. Why change to a solution that is OS specific and requires users to install extra software? What benefit is that to the customer?

Sigh...

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Companies exist to provide products with mass appeal not universal appeal. Trying to meet all of the specific needs of all potential users is a nest of vipers for software developers. Sometimes users just have to accept that evolution moves products and software forwards leaving the dinosaurs in an evolutionary cu de sac.

KneesUp

Guru
Would that be an evolutionary cul de sac such as using an arcane and obsolete bit of software like a web browser to facilitate transferring a map update to a USB device?

The web browser did the job, and worked for anyone with an internet connection, a browser and a USB port.

There was no need to change it, and it didn't require lots of development for different platforms.

Whereas the new solution has required two pieces of software to be written for two operating systems, and furthermore had to rely on the programming community to support other OSs.

I could understand perhaps if it was something critical, but all it does is check the serial number of my device to see what updates I am entitled to and then shift data from the Garmin server to my device - the web solution was ideal.

pplpilot

Guru
Sigh...

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time.

Companies exist to provide products with mass appeal not universal appeal. Trying to meet all of the specific needs of all potential users is a nest of vipers for software developers. Sometimes users just have to accept that evolution moves products and software forwards leaving the dinosaurs in an evolutionary cu de sac.

As someone who works in the software industry. Permission to quote this? :bravo:

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I mean, by all means do some fancy wizzy software thing, but leave a basic route available for those who don't wish to install your software. Seems like common sense to me.

Oh is that what happened, I had to load something tonight to get my file to upload - pretty easy (I managed it!) and did not take any time at all to do. Can't see the issue.

Top Bottom