Very very Annoyed!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Seems like unnecessary expense to me.

I bet there's some pretty angry Windows 3.1 and GEM Garmin users out there too.
Why is there an expense? They had it working through a web-browser already. The new 'solution' was an expense.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
What is this 'Garmin' you speak of..?
I navigate via an old-fangled OS map.
AND, I never have problems with the battery running out half way round a ride!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
While having a little sympathy for Vernon's pov, a company removing a feature that's a function of an existing product that a customer bought, at least in part on the basis it had that advertised feature, is not a approach to customers that is likely to be welcomed by them.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Noticed this as well last night. Maybe the third party garmin plugin will eventually be updated to work with the new functionality/protocol. In the meantime, I'll just stop using garmin connect. If they don't want me as a user, I will go somewhere else.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
So if you had Windows or OSX installed would this have been an issue?

I guess maybe Garmin decided that anyone using Linux can just deal with it, thats the risk you take when using a minority OS perhaps?

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman

I guess maybe Garmin decided that anyone using Linux can just deal with it, thats the risk you take when using a minority OS perhaps?

What about people on older OS's, such as people with older Mac's that can only run Snow Leopard? Suddenly they're locked out unless they spend serious money on a new computer. If they had kept the manual upload feature it wouldn't matter what OS you were on.

GrasB

Veteran
What about people on older OS's, such as people with older Mac's that can only run Snow Leopard? Suddenly they're locked out unless they spend serious money on a new computer. If they had kept the manual upload feature it wouldn't matter what OS you were on.
SL is unsupported by Apple now & missing a fair few important security patches. Good on Garmin for abandoning a dangerous OS.

When you buy in to Mac OS X you're buying into an effective 4 year hardware life cycle. You may or may not get more than 4 years on a bit of kit before the OS it's running has its support dropped.

yello

Whilst I understand the company perspective (costs of maintaining older platforms whilst developing for new technologies), Garmin do seem almost hellbent on ignoring linux (and I believe their Mac support is secondary) and focusing entirely on more recent windows platforms. It does seem a curiously blinkered development path to me. I can certainly understand the frustration of the OP. But whatever...

Fortunately, this has left scope for Mac/Linux developers to come up with solutions for those platforms (even if Garmin do like to mess around with the interface rules from time to time). The Mac one (is it Ascent??) is very good I believe.

I run a Win2k virtual machine almost solely for maintaining the ability to upload to Connect in the Garmin corporate approved fashion ;). That said, it is a backup method and primarily I upload using the andreas diesner plugin (mentioned upsteam) to upload to connect. Plus, I have a couple of linux sepcific packages (TurtleSport, pyTrainer) that utilise gpsbabel and/or garmin tools to download the data from my Edge unit. From there, I could equally manually upload the output files (.tcx in my case) to Connect.

KneesUp

Guru

I am typing this sat at my iMac running OSX 10.6.8. The Garmin won't run on this because it doesn't support 64-bit. It does not say that on the box, though.

The last version of Windows I used regularly was Windows 2000.

KneesUp

Guru
Just to add, I think we may have reached peak processor for many people. I had a few computers between 1996 and 2004, and used to build my own because porocessor power seemed to actually make a difference. But if all you do really is browse the web and do a few spreadsheets, a computer that's 10 years old is fine now. Hence tablets are popular - people don't need the latest and greatest OS for 90% of what they do.

This makes Garmin's decision to remove a web-based solution to updating to a solution requiring a new computer seem to be a bad one. Unless you are Miocrosoft, Apple or a PC maker.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There are few software suppliers who wouldn't rip you off at every opportunity these days... not got a Garmin, I use Cyclemeter which seems to cope and downloads ride information when I remember! Still like the CC group on My Cycling Log best.

GrasB

Veteran
Just to add, I think we may have reached peak processor for many people. I had a few computers between 1996 and 2004, and used to build my own because porocessor power seemed to actually make a difference. But if all you do really is browse the web and do a few spreadsheets, a computer that's 10 years old is fine now. Hence tablets are popular - people don't need the latest and greatest OS for 90% of what they do.

This makes Garmin's decision to remove a web-based solution to updating to a solution requiring a new computer seem to be a bad one. Unless you are Miocrosoft, Apple or a PC maker.
Besides forcing users like your self to actually buy a computer which is secure & does not risk hammering on the door of other peoples machines 24/7 because you're too tight to keep up to date. I'm writing this on the back of having seen 31 OS X 10.6 & 10.5 machines trying to do very naughty things to our mac time machine backup server.

KneesUp

Guru
Besides forcing users like your self to actually buy a computer which is secure & does not risk hammering on the door of other peoples machines 24/7 because you're too tight to keep up to date. I'm writing this on the back of having seen 31 OS X 10.6 & 10.5 machines trying to do very naughty things to our mac time machine backup server.
My mac is not on 24/7 and is behind a firewall. And only I use it, so I know exactly what is installed on it.

What is "tight" about not spending money on things I don't need?

Top Bottom