Very very Annoyed!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Flush your cycle computers down the khazi and liberate yourselves from computer controlled bike rides...freedom awaits, yay!!!!

I bought a computer as soon as I started cycling (again), it was stolen 2 years ago after 10 of use. I was liberated. :thumbsup:

DWiggy

Über Member
It works for me, although no longer automated!! Just click the activities link on the fly out menu on the right, this gives you a list of your rides, then on the top right just above the table of your rides) is an import link. click that and navigate to your connected Garmin device...done!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

GrasB

Veteran
My mac is not on 24/7 and is behind a firewall. And only I use it, so I know exactly what is installed on it.
And this has any effect on that you're running a fundamentally insecure OS why? All you need to do is open the wrong email or click on one bad link & your machine is at a much higher risk of being infected by something you're not aware of. The thing is we're seeing more & more attacks on OS X versions which are off-support by Apple, it's almost deliberate targeting of the older OS's because many people have your attitude & simply do not keep their system up today. I'm sick & tired of doing security investigations of OS 10.6 & earlier macs & finding compromises on systems. Oddly almost all of the attacks seen wouldn't work on recent OS's because they've been patched. So IMO you do need it, you're just too confident in your abilities to secure a system to realise what position you're in.

KneesUp

Guru
And this has any effect on that you're running a fundamentally insecure OS why? All you need to do is open the wrong email or click on one bad link & your machine is at a much higher risk of being infected by something you're not aware of. The thing is we're seeing more & more attacks on OS X versions which are off-support by Apple, it's almost deliberate targeting of the older OS's because many people have your attitude & simply do not keep their system up today. I'm sick & tired of doing security investigations of OS 10.6 & earlier macs & finding compromises on systems. Oddly almost all of the attacks seen wouldn't work on recent OS's because they've been patched. So IMO you do need it, you're just too confident in your abilities to secure a system to realise what position you're in.
I did used to work in IT support, so I am fairly confident, yes.

I'm not entirely sure though why you feel it ought to be beholden on Garmin et al to force my hand in upgrading though.

Nor do your frustrations in having to do your job explain why Garmin support didn't tell me that the older version of their software would work perfectly well on my Mac, and didn't tell me of the Linux support options. And nowhere did they put on the box or in the link printed on the box that their software wouldn't work on my mac.

Their customer service stinks.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Spoke too soon.....the manual upload is back. Seems there's been an outcry on the Garmin support forums and it's back. Not sure if this is a permanent thing or a temp stay of execution...

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
Spoke too soon.....the manual upload is back. Seems there's been an outcry on the Garmin support forums and they have reversed the decision. Not sure if this is a permanent thing or a temp stay of execution...
So I presume they disabled a feature for no good technical reason, if they are able to bring it back. Nice.

As I say, their customer service stinks.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
So I presume they disabled a feature for no good technical reason, if they are able to bring it back. Nice.

As I say, their customer service stinks.

To be fair it now seems like in the process of implementing the new "modern" look it got disabled by accident. However if you use the new look you will notice it doesn't have an upload feature, it only uses sync via Express, so I have a feeling the manual upload is doomed eventually.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just for thread completeness I submitted a help request to Strava asking what they plan to do regards Garmin Express and manual file uploads. They confirmed they will support sync via express once they work out how to do it and will always continue to offer manual upload.

yello

They confirmed they will support sync via express once they work out how to do it

I mentioned earlier that I've read that Garmin do sometimes change the rules on their interfaces. Still, at least they provide a path even if it does change occasionally!

Top Bottom