Veteran car run/chase Sunday November 7 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Blue Hills
Quite a lot of it looks a bit scary. Leaving Crawley, User10571 and I spent some time alongside a car where the passenger was putting herself close to Isadora Duncan territory.

You make it sound like you were waiting - then eventually pootled away disappointed :sad:

I hesitate to say this but one of our riders told me that a wooden wheel on one of the cars exploded in front of him sending bits of wood flying.

rb58

Enigma
I hesitate to say this but one of our riders told me that a wooden wheel on one of the cars exploded in front of him sending bits of wood flying.

That was me. I was loitering behind a couple of veterans at some traffic lights somewhere in the Coulsden area when the car at the head of the queue seemed to have trouble getting going. There followed a loud bang and the wooden spokes of the rear nearside wheel rearranged themselves over the pavement in fairly dramatic fashion. I was glad I wasn't stood next to the car. I guess the wheel just couldn't handle the awesome torque!!

Cheers
Ross

Ok, sorry for the late post but my broadband has been on theblink. Most has been said so I will keep it short (no puns teef)

That was an epic ride for me. Myself Ian and Ross met early and I was on time for achange. So onwards to Croydonpicking up Mr A on route. I wassurprised to see so many cyclists, many who I normally don’t see this side ofmidnight. Then in a blink we wereoff straight in the middle of the cars. What a great experience that I think maybe difficultto match until next year. (Greatpics Rimas and Dave and great vid Andy)

We were at Crawley in no time then onwards to Ansty for abreather loosing Mr A on route. Then we were in Brighton. It all went by in a flash but I lovedevery minute of it. I think weaveraged 15.something mph for the 1[sup]st[/sup] leg which is the quickest I had doneover such a long distance.

The trip back was very different. I fuelled up and felt ok, normally my legs start to arguewith me at the 50 mile mark. Thisride they made it to around 60 miles then I got the feeling I have hadbefore. I had some more food andgel but my legs were getting pissed off with my determination. I did considerbailing, but committed my self only because my fellow riders were so supportiveand I was sure I could make it.

On the ride back we saw some fantastic sights, the daylightdisappearing across the hills perked me up no end and the Heron on patrol was areal sight and then the rainbows over Crawley. One enduring memory was a dog walker wearing multicolouredtrousers with a pink lead for his dog somewhere near hand cross, I rememberthinking poor bloody dog (or was that me imagining things).

Anyway enough of that. Thank you to Martin, Rimas, Ian, Ross and Andy for encouraging me to domy first return home ride and getting me home in one piece. Your support and patience meant a lot.

I wish I had more time to ride so I could increase my stamina todo more of these rides

That’s only my second 100+ since I started riding 2 yearsago. 113 miles for me on the daywith an average moving speed of 14.5 mph across nearly 8 hours on the bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once again Clive. Very well done.
bravo.gif
cheers.gif
bicycle.gif

It's a real pleasure riding with you and pushing you on to better yourself..
I feel proud to have been with you on your maiden hundred and now your longest distance.
thebiggrin.gif

You're getting the Mousketeer habit.

martint235

Dog on a bike
On the ride back we saw some fantastic sights, the daylightdisappearing across the hills perked me up no end and the Heron on patrol was areal sight and then the rainbows over Crawley. One enduring memory was a dog walker wearing multicolouredtrousers with a pink lead for his dog somewhere near hand cross, I rememberthinking poor bloody dog (or was that me imagining things).

They weren't just multi-coloured, they actually had Coca-Cola written all over them....... I think they were his girlfriend's pyjamas. :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yes, I received information about the ride today.
Will dig out and post up as there are different time and meet places.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
If this one is anything like last year's, this will be too good to miss. Looking forward to it. Might even manage to lunch with you all this time :smile:

Andy.

Top Bottom