Veteran car run/chase Sunday November 7 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Some very happy memories there Rimas. Sorry I missed you guys at Ansty.

My pics are on their way to the (now customary) vid here. Just waiting for the copyright elves at Youtube to scrub the soundtrack.

i've uploaded some photos to picasa. still need to practice to take pictures with gloves while riding.

maybe offtopic, but would anyone know where i could find a magnetic accessory mount, the type that they use to display cameras or mobile phones in the shops? it would make a perfect camera mount for the bike.

GORILLAPOD.jpg

Andy has talked of the Gorilla pod before Rimas - any good? About £15 I think...

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Thanks to all for coming. Five or so of us at Cutty Sark Gardens where Pippa emerged from the foot tunnel en route to East Croydon.

Eleven of us by the time we left Forest Hill, then on to East Croydon where there were a lot of familiar faces and many many others. I don’t think anyone was really sure of the number – 30? 35? A tad more?

We all left together but it was clear that we weren’t going to stay that way and anyway it was safer to split en route. Bunches of us did the traditional regrouping at certain spots, the hill out of Redhill as the crocks struggled, various places along the way, the stop at the Ansty Cross pub.

Every year it’s different and this time, on the fast road by Gatwick where I sometimes put on a bit of speed I really enjoyed purrring along drafting a car which had clearly decided to get to Brighton at a very steady 16mph.

Various groups scattered around Brighton and six of us managed as usual end up on the beach for fish and chips and a nice seasonally chilled beer.

Another great memorable day – respect to the original seven who started this four years ago and to the folks who kept it going last year amidst appalling weather when I was unavoidably somewhere warmer.

Thanks to all for the pics and video footage

Apologies to the guy (I’m awful on names) whose Tifosi I was chatting about and admiring on the early morning run to Forest Hill – and then managed to knock over at the Ansty beer stop. Trust it’s OK.

Thanks to all who enjoyed the day and truly shared the road – spectators, various folks by the side of the road with their car and vehicle collections, to the old crocks and their cheery occupants, to the mostly very patient modern car drivers, to the marshals and the police.

cheers chaps – to next year

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
IMGP0193.jpg
Destination Happiness! Nothing wrong with your snapping Rimas - carry on but go easy on the sauce. I see that 'banane a la User10571' made a cameo appearance. :smile:

Rimas had to get a second batch of Sauces. "Fish and Chips with your sauce Sir?"
laugh.gif

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Some very happy memories there Rimas. Sorry I missed you guys at Ansty.

My pics are on their way to the (now customary) vid here. Just waiting for the copyright elves at Youtube to scrub the soundtrack.

Brilliant Andy..

Once again, let me say.. what a fantastic day...

arallsopp

maybe offtopic, but would anyone know where i could find a magnetic accessory mount, the type that they use to display cameras or mobile phones in the shops? it would make a perfect camera mount for the bike.

GORILLAPOD.jpg

Andy has talked of the Gorilla pod before Rimas - any good? About £15 I think...

I do keep promising myself a gorilla pod (the price is right) but fear the bumps would see it spin around on the tube. Once the weight is off centre, it'll increasingly want to aim at the floor. If I did get one, I'd mount it the other way up from the pic above, and have it hanging *under* the bars (boom in my case).

If I had standard diameter handlebars anywhere near the front of my bike, I'd be tempted to go along these lines though:
http://www.camerahac...amera_Mount.php
http://content.photo...a-to-your-bike/

For the connoisseur, you might try the ultimate in low cost flexible waterproof camera mounts:

710305.jpg

Please note - this will be pretty fast ride. Not a ride for beginners.

If you fancy a slower ride, feel free to join:

www.britishschoolofcycling.com/rides/extreme/cars.htm

With a big thanks to Paul for detailing this other cycle ride to Brighton I just wanted to share my excitement that I have now done my first 70 miler! This included a debatable route from Central London to Blackheath via several repeated roads (oh I am on this road again!) in an attempt to avoid the A2 (at all costs), being caught up in diversions, one way systems and the added error in not having my A-Z with me (please translate as being completely and utterly lost)! It did include a spectacular sunrise-in-the-mist moment as I shot up a hill in the middle of Greenwhich Park (which after Swains Lane is clearly not a hill but more of a road bump - ooo bad Raptochic memories!) and on to Blackheath Station where I found nine fabulous others at the Start Point.

It definitely wasnt a race, it definitely didn't include Ditchling Beacon but it did include the veteran cars (and trikes) that were a feat in mechanics (although some taken to the limit) and there was a consistent and massive enthusiasm from all sides of the road.

A great day indeed! Big thanks as well as Paul to Tom and the Young Lewisham & Greenwich Cyclists who made it such fun. In preparation for the Brighton FNRttC (weather permitting) I am heading to Crystal Palace - several times! M

zigzag

Veteran
I do keep promising myself a gorilla pod (the price is right) but fear the bumps would see it spin around on the tube. Once the weight is off centre, it'll increasingly want to aim at the floor. If I did get one, I'd mount it the other way up from the pic above, and have it hanging *under* the bars (boom in my case).

If I had standard diameter handlebars anywhere near the front of my bike, I'd be tempted to go along these lines though:
http://www.camerahac...amera_Mount.php
http://content.photo...a-to-your-bike/

For the connoisseur, you might try the ultimate in low cost flexible waterproof camera mounts:

710305.jpg

thank you Andy for suggestions, i've explored many options in the past and there are many different mounts which work well if you want to keep the camera attached to the bike. i want to have an ability to instantly take the camera off the mount take a photo and quickly put it back with one hand while riding. the only idea i came up with is the electronic gadget display mount, where you see them in mobile phone outlets, dixons etc. with some modification this could work well on a bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
thank you Andy for suggestions, i've explored many options in the past and there are many different mounts which work well if you want to keep the camera attached to the bike. i want to have an ability to instantly take the camera off the mount take a photo and quickly put it back with one hand while riding. the only idea i came up with is the electronic gadget display mount, where you see them in mobile phone outlets, dixons etc. with some modification this could work well on a bike.

Rimas,
When I usually take a camera I have it on a lanyard around my neck. That way very easy to grab and take pics without the worry of dropping it.

U

User10571

That's my preferred method too. Easy enough to pop the camera inside a zip fronted top if it's not going to be required for a while and you don't want it dangling willy-nilly.

arallsopp

Yep. That's how I used to shoot when I was on uprights. If you do go that way, its best to use the 2 second timer by default, as this gives you a chance to push the button then angle the camera. My brain couldn't handle one handed simultaneous point and click. Rode to Paris once with a DSLR around my neck. Now that was HEAVY. :smile:

Oh, ps. Yes, User10571. That was me beside you at the traffic light potemkin.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
With a big thanks to Paul for detailing this other cycle ride to Brighton I just wanted to share my excitement that I have now done my first 70 miler!
Crikey Moses, young Miranda! That's taken next to no time!

Top Bottom