Veteran car run/chase Sunday November 7 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What about a RAM system for camera mount?
I use a 3 piece RAM system with a standard camera screw end that i attach my contourHD to. Works perfectly fine.
If you want details on the parts, let me know.
4954926253_813c5021e7_z.jpg

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Some more memories of the day. Extra points go to the girls on the trike. They were clearly having a fantastic time.

IMGP6609.jpg IMGP6593.jpg IMGP6580.jpg IMGP6574.jpg IMGP6561.jpg IMGP6611.jpg
IMGP6550.jpg IMGP6547.jpg IMGP6544.jpg IMGP6539.jpg IMGP6534.jpg IMGP6525.jpg
IMGP6512.jpg IMGP6502.jpg IMGP6497.jpg IMGP6552.jpg IMGP6479.jpg IMGP6452.jpg
IMGP6447.jpg IMGP6446.jpg IMGP6402.jpg IMGP6395.jpg IMGP6391.jpg IMGP6362.jpg
IMGP6358.jpg IMGP6488.jpg IMGP6342.jpg IMGP6341.jpg IMGP6320.jpg IMGP6315.jpg
IMGP6305.jpg IMGP6302.jpg IMGP6300.jpg IMGP6274.jpg IMGP6355.jpg IMGP6306.jpg

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
those powered trikes looked like a real blast until I saw the guy on one having to pedal to get up the hill at Ansty which made it all a bit "what's the point of that then?"

That's my preferred method too. Easy enough to pop the camera inside a zip fronted top if it's not going to be required for a while and you don't want it dangling willy-nilly.

Yep - and mine too, but I didn't want to suggest this because my 'mile-munching mate' Mimas oh sorry - getting carried away, Rimas, asked for a bike mounted one - probably because he has a weak neck :rofl:

OP
OP
Blue Hills
I found one sad note to the whole thing. At around 5:15 the last finisher came in, accompanied by an RAC van. I was amazed by the fact that the remaining participants barely looked up to acknowledge this achievement. I asked one of them about this, apparently anything after 4:00 is a failure..

I think I was vaguely aware of this cut-off as I rode back up the route to Cuckfield (pretty easy except for having to walk on a bit of the Clayton Hill one way system) and passed a fair few cars still on the road, including one ailing thing that seemed to be a mobile chimney with a domestic hot water tank on the back. I was flying to get back as quickly as possible so just gave a few of them a nod. Next time I intend to give them a cheer and a wave as I'm always impressed by their tolerance of us whizzing amongst them* and their willingness to exchange waves and banter with us.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
A great day indeed! Big thanks as well as Paul to Tom and the Young Lewisham & Greenwich Cyclists who made it such fun. In preparation for the Brighton FNRttC (weather permitting) I am heading to Crystal Palace - several times! M
Hi Mice. How many were there on Tom's ride? Haven't heard back from my email to him yet. I got a text from him to say you had reached Ansty at 1:30 though didn't see it until the evening. I thought I might see you guys on the way back but we departed from the route just north of Brighton to take the cycle path to Pyecombe, rejoining at the southern end of Clayton Hill, so may well have by-passed you.

Glad you enjoyed the day.
P

zigzag

Veteran
Yep - and mine too, but I didn't want to suggest this because my 'mile-munching mate' Mimas oh sorry - getting carried away, Rimas, asked for a bike mounted one - probably because he has a weak neck :rofl:

cheers guys, all your suggestions are good, but my preference is to have a setup, where the camera sits at handlebar hight pointed to the view ahead. turn it on, take a picture or a short video. for side or back views i'd like to be able to remove camera quickly (e.g. magnetic, velcro attachment), take photos, and place it back with one hand. i wouldn't mind having a camera strap around my neck, but not all my cycling clothes have pocket in the front and in colder weather i would get condensation on the lens (=blurry photos). i have researched the whole camera mount market, but found nothing suitable so far. i'm thinking if i could modify something like this to fit on a bike.

cheers guys, all your suggestions are good, but my preference is to have a setup, where the camera sits at handlebar hight pointed to the view ahead. turn it on, take a picture or a short video. for side or back views i'd like to be able to remove camera quickly (e.g. magnetic, velcro attachment), take photos, and place it back with one hand. i wouldn't mind having a camera strap around my neck, but not all my cycling clothes have pocket in the front and in colder weather i would get condensation on the lens (=blurry photos). i have researched the whole camera mount market, but found nothing suitable so far. i'm thinking if i could modify something like this to fit on a bike.

But no-one is going to steal your camera, Rimas - rest assured...:rolleyes:

Maybe if you get a waterproof housing for your camera and arrange a system of floats so that it keeps stable/upright etc, pointing in your chosen direction whilst in water...
Simply bolt a large fluid filled fishtank to your handlebars and drop the camera in. When you need to take a 'person operated snap' simply fish the camera out, hold to your eye and press! Chuck one-handed back into the water, whereupon the floats would right it...
A long straw would enable a drink to be taken now and again.

This may be digressing a little - but I'm waiting for something here at work...:biggrin:

Crikey Moses, young Miranda! That's taken next to no time!

Thank you Dellzeqq - you have no idea how much that means to me! And I had a ball! M

Hi Mice. How many were there on Tom's ride? Haven't heard back from my email to him yet. I got a text from him to say you had reached Ansty at 1:30 though didn't see it until the evening. I thought I might see you guys on the way back but we departed from the route just north of Brighton to take the cycle path to Pyecombe, rejoining at the southern end of Clayton Hill, so may well have by-passed you.

Glad you enjoyed the day.
P

Hello Blue Hills! There were 10 of us - I didnt pay too much attention to timing as I was so distracted by all the cars, fellow cyclists and what gear I was in! I have checked the times on my photos and I think we left Ansty Pub at about 14:45 or so and arrived at the sea front at 16:34 (so says the jpeg!). We went over and alongside the A23 but not down it! Once at the finishing post we headed into a plate of fish n chips and several cups of tea on the sea front before haring off to catch a coastline train to Littlehampton and then northwards home. It really was a great day and I am so still grinning from ear to ear! Big thanks again for the tip off! M

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thank you Dellzeqq - you have no idea how much that means to me! And I had a ball! M

Hello Blue Hills! There were 10 of us - I didnt pay too much attention to timing as I was so distracted by all the cars, fellow cyclists and what gear I was in! I have checked the times on my photos and I think we left Ansty Pub at about 14:45 or so and arrived at the sea front at 16:34 (so says the jpeg!). We went over and alongside the A23 but not down it! Once at the finishing post we headed into a plate of fish n chips and several cups of tea on the sea front before haring off to catch a coastline train to Littlehampton and then northwards home. It really was a great day and I am so still grinning from ear to ear! Big thanks again for the tip off! M

Well done Miranda.. that's great going. So glad you enjoyed.....
I think by 4.30pm the Mousketeers and Co. were cycling back through Gatwick Airport......onwards to home...dragging Clive kicking and screaming with us...
thumbsup.png

Well done Miranda.. that's great going. So glad you enjoyed.....
I think by 4.30pm the Mousketeers and Co. were cycling back through Gatwick Airport......onwards to home...dragging Clive kicking and screaming with us...
thumbsup.png

Thank you Ian - that's great encouragement and means a lot. The day certainly took London out of the Sunday Ride...! And I am not at all surprised not to see the Mouseketeers as by the time I was downing chips I suspect you all were flying home by then! M

OP
OP
Blue Hills
We went over and alongside the A23 but not down it! Once at the finishing post we headed into a plate of fish n chips and several cups of tea on the sea front before haring off to catch a coastline train to Littlehampton and then northwards home. It really was a great day and I am so still grinning from ear to ear! Big thanks again for the tip off! M

Hi Mice.

Yes, we did the right turn as we approached the fast bit of A23, through Pyecombe and then on the cycle path. The first year we did the ride, we did end up on the A23 as we didn't know what was coming. The whole day was a mad wonder and I know what you mean about the grinning from ear to ear for a fair while after, but that was just a bit too much adrenalin. It's seriously dangerous even if you do manage to tuck in behind a veteran . Of course I do know that certain persons ignored my advice atop Clayton Hill to make the turn and went ahead anyway, but this ride is freeform by its very nature and adults make their own decisions.

Thanks for your info - I'll post something on the Greenwich/Southwark/Lewisham/Bromley lists.

U

User10571

..... Extra points go to the girls on the trike. They were clearly having a fantastic time.
DSC01992.jpg

Like many of the participants, the girls on the trike do the Vet car ride year in year out. I first saw them when we did the ride in 2007.

How many of you spotted that the trike is controlled by the person sitting at the back rather than the one in front?
Hase Pino stylee.
Which may account for the hip-flask action in the front seat.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
[attachment=1416:biggrin:SC01992.jpg]

Like many of the participants, the girls on the trike do the Vet car ride year in year out. I first saw them when we did the ride in 2007.

How many of you spotted that the trike is controlled by the person sitting at the back rather than the one in front?
Hase Pino stylee.
Which may account for the hip-flask action in the front seat.

Yep that does ring a bell. But my gawd, how far is that wheel from the driver's leg? And that powerbelt just behind her - doesn't bear thinking about.

Top Bottom