Veteran car run/chase Sunday November 7 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh, and belated thanks to Pippa for the sweet 'n' salty choconut slice. Mmmmmm :smile:

Oh yeas.. that was a slice of heaven..
thumbsup.png

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we had a great time. Susie was nervous before the off, but chaps of the highest calibre offered encouragement, and, by the time we had to break away, she was buzzing. Thankyou one and all.

U

User10571

A great day out thanks, in no small part, to the weather and the company.

Cheesy chilli chips and beer and tea were had on the seafront sometime shortly after 13:00.

We then progressed to Brighton Station to figure out what our options were in the absence of the regular train service when, Lo! Pippa spotted a Victoria bound train, destined to depart about four minutes later (albeit via Littlehampton).

Some frantic ticket machine action and a sprint to Platform One saw us board the train, to join three others who had been on the ride (apologies - we didn't exchange names) for the rather protracted ride back to Londres.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I saw one bit of overtaking which was really aggressive - and surprising given the cost of these things - but, by and large the drivers and the passengers on the old crocks were charm itself. The chap with the top hat on the De Dion Bouton was clearly having the time of his life

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I saw one bit of overtaking which was really aggressive - and surprising given the cost of these things - but, by and large the drivers and the passengers on the old crocks were charm itself. The chap with the top hat on the De Dion Bouton was clearly having the time of his life

He did look like it didn't he? I had a little natter with him. I commented on his very graceful riding style...

So glad Suzie enjoyed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
and when one contrasts the weather y'day with today's!

Indeed.
Apart from cycling through Crawley on the way back yesterday. The rain was so cold that every drop hitting the face felt like a razor knick. Small mercies it didn't last long. We also saw a full crescent rainbow, one of the best and brightest I have seen in years.

zigzag

Veteran
it was a cracking day, both the weather and the atmosphere. left home 7am, came back 7pm with 118 miles behind. well done to Clive, who was considering bail-out options near devils dyke, but made all the way to London.

it was fascinating to see those vintage cars in action, with their drivetrains exposed. i wonder if these cars can be modified, so they would not leave bucketloads of oil on the road and have more up to date brakes? one car nearly rammed into me as i stopped at a roundabout. good thing the driver shouted "go, go!!" so i sprinted forward while he continued through the roundabout with other cars approaching from the right! well, at least they look beautiful. how will the cars look 100 years from now - will there be cars, or something different?..

highlights:
festive and vintage atmosphere
Pippas'nut/chocolate bar, mmm..
fish&chips on a seafront
heron taking off in front of us
quiet surrey villages in orange sunset hue
two rainbows near Crawley

i've taken some photos, will try to upload them tonight. i need to learn to handle camera with gloves while riding, missed a lot of good shots.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that next year it might be as well to have a little safety talk at the beginning of the ride - and, no, I'm not volunteering. I looked over my shoulder at one junction. I and a few others were in the 'fast' lane, and an old crock was bearing down on us, sounding its horn. I yelled 'go, go' and we moved off. Now, it might have been able to stop, but, then again, it might not. Quite a few jumped red lights, and I'm not sure that they were doing so by choice.

Still - a great ride, and many thanks to Ian for telling us about it.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
The chap with the top hat on the De Dion Bouton was clearly having the time of his life

He did look like it didn't he? I had a little natter with him. I commented on his very graceful riding style...

If I'm right, the guy you're thinking of Ian had a bowler, not top hat. I recall the name Bouton on the back of a little'un, and the millinery says 'is this he?'

Attachments

• IMGP6269.jpg
    IMGP6269.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65
U

User10571

I think that next year it might be as well to have a little safety talk at the beginning of the ride .......
In his defence fhills has, in the past, delivered a safety talk of sorts. Included in which has been mention of exactly that to which you refer - Staying out of the way of the old cars on descents, at traffic lights and other places where they might be applying their ancient, wheezy brakes. I'm not sure said talk was delivered yesterday - if it was, I missed it.

To reinforce your point (not that it needs much reinforcing) Dellzeqq, yesterday myself and (I think it may've been) Aralsopp pulled up on approach to a zebra crossing in South Croydon where a woman pushing a buggy was already on the crossing in full stride from our right.
We were undertaken by an ancient thing carrying four, the one doing the steering crying out "No! No! No! No! No!" and waving frantically before sailing straight through the crossing, with no noticable reduction to his speed.
Thankfully the mum heard the commotion and abated her progress until the danger had passed.

rb58

Enigma
The best things about this ride was that everyone was smiling. Even those attending broken down cars.......

You don't often see that!

zigzag

Veteran
i've uploaded some photos to picasa. still need to practice to take pictures with gloves while riding.

maybe offtopic, but would anyone know where i could find a magnetic accessory mount, the type that they use to display cameras or mobile phones in the shops? it would make a perfect camera mount for the bike.

Top Bottom