Vicious Cycle Commute related attack...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
So you know when you’re alone and b*llocko in the changing rooms after a ride into work, you're just about to waltz into the shower, and you suddenly feel a tickling on your back?

Well this was exactly the situation I found myself in this morning. Thinking it was nothing more than an itch, I moved my hand around and started to scratch, but felt that I’d knocked something hard onto the floor. My first thought was that some sort of terrible spider had jumped onto me, but it was much too solid for that. Perhaps I'd panicked over nothing, and it was just one of those QC stickers from my jersey or something that had somehow transferred itself... Then I saw a little ladybird b*stard on the floor grinning inanely up at me.

Now I wouldn’t have normally been concerned with a little crawly fella nuzzling into my naked skin, but when I looked a little more closely at it, it was one of those little evil blood-sucking black knobs with red spots, rather than the sweet, cuddly, friendly red ones with the black spots.

I have no idea for how long he had been hitching a ride for, or what his intentions were, but either way I feel like up to this point, I had been lucky to escape with my life. Still, I left him be and continued my changing regime.

When I had finished my freezing cold shower (because I'd forgotten to log with the estates dept last week that there was no hot water), I attempted to manouvre my helmet (bicycle variety) and the angry little git had crawled all the way up the filing cabinet that I keep it on, and was cosied up inside by the padding, clearly trying to get into a hiding space from which to attack me on the way home and finish the job.

The act of turning my helmet (bicycle variety) caused him to tumble unceremoniously to the hard floor and he lay motionless. It may have actually been a backfired attempt to leap at my unprotected throat, hoping to deliver a fatal blow... I guess we'll never know.

I suspect he was either stunned or just playing dead, because he’d fallen a similar distance only 5 minutes earlier and still managed to find the energy to climb the mount Everest of filing cabinets in order to try and instigate phase two of his evil death plan. The other possibility is that he was accidentally drowned, because although there were only a couple of drops of water on the floor, a drop of water to me is probably like Loch Ness to that little midget.

No doubt when I re-enter the changing rooms at 5pm there will be no sign of him, and I’ll have to check every single item of clothing before getting changed to try and foil whatever heinous plan to take me down he’s been busy hatching in there all day... and hope that fiendish plans are the only things he's been hatching.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Your mistake is thinking there is only one of them, in fact they are an army lucking waiting for THE MOMENT!

Can I have your bike after the police investigators have finished inspecting it for clues?

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Sneaky little barstool!! See this is why i always say 'take a bat into the shower with you'. I know they hate water but everyone hates bats so it's a win win.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
ladybirds can fly.
A-ha, but I witnessed the commencement of his ascent before I departed for my shower...

IMG_0664.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
Isn't that a tick? I'm Got bitten a couple of times in the summer and ended up with a couple of very nasty bites! Get piriton and anthisan asap

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Isn't that a tick? I'm Got bitten a couple of times in the summer and ended up with a couple of very nasty bites! Get piriton and anthisan asap

No, that's not a tick, it's an "Angel-of-death bird." Very similar to a ladybird, but with psychotic tendencies and strength disproportionate to its size.
Notorious for playing dead in changing rooms until left alone whereupon their favourite ploy is to crawl into an unwary victims undercrackers before carrying out a savage and needlessly violent assault when the victim least expects it.
Survival prospects are slim to poor.

you can report it here ... :laugh:
this one looks like your most likely suspect...

Haha, they also go by the name of pumpkin ladybird, and now that you mention it one my colleagues always brings them in with her on her jacket... Must say though, they never seem interested in me...

flyingfish

I think you need to get the poor little fella his own helmet if you are going to keep hurling him to the floor. Have the rspca been informed of your behaviour?Pete

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Alas, I fear it may be somewhat of an anticlimax, yet I can report that my commute home passed without incident. I was not party to an attack from any source, especially not from helmet cubby-holes, arm or leg warmers, and definitely not my undercrackers.

This is not to say that the insect threat has waned or disappeared. It may be a tactic to lull us into a false sense of security. I've probably gone years without seeing or caring about ladybirds, pumpkinbirds, harlequin pumpkins, ladypumpkins, etc yet after the savage and brutal attack this morning, I have seen a red and black chap perched on a bollard at lunch, another (or maybe the same) black and red on the stairwell wall mid afternoon, and then a third red and black on the light fitting at the local when enjoying a drink after footy this evening. Who knows when the next will show themselves, how many of them there will be, or what their agenda is.

All I do know, is that this is a time for vigilance, unity, and then perhaps a bit more vigilance, and then loads more unity. If the spirits are with us, then maybe we can overcome this inevitable infestation, and once more live to strip naked at work without fear of molestation.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@lejogger - I have to agree with @Panter here - I do wonder, however, if it is actually the same one you saw yesterday on all those occasions after work. Of course you didn't see it in the changing-room at work - it had served its purpose there and, while you were carefully searching through all your clothing, it had moved on to its next surveillance spot (the lunchtime bollard - so obvious it was clearly not in surveillance mode, more 'reminder' mode :unsure:), then on to the stairwell (there is NO escape :ohmy:), thence to the light fitting in the drinking-den (we know where you are going next :eek:).

Pretty neat colour changes too !

Have you been able to eliminate the possibility of it being a remotely-operated drone ? Any obvious antenna ?

These things need to be taken seriously.

Top Bottom