Video camera for front of bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiddstu

Hi, I'm planning on getting a small video camera, even a spy camera for the front of my bike as I'd like to take some footage.

Does anyone know anything on the market which might be tried and tested? Would be nice if it could be protected in rain. And nice if the output was onto an SD card or hard drive.

Thanks!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Here some you can google:

Oregon Scientific ATC-2000, ATC-3000, and ATC-5000 models
VIO POV.1
Archos camera and DVR combo
Flycamone2

I have both the VIO POV.1 and an ATC-2000, and like them both.

Enogeze

I went to investigate ActionCameras in London do the VOI POV 1. They seem very helpful. They'll also rent you the equipment so you can try stuff out before buying - but rental is not very cheap.

They say that the POV 1 was originally made for the US military and is waterproof, writes to SD card and works on AA batteries. The camera can be fitted to helmet or bike or just about anywhere. There is a waterproof mic on the cable linking the camera to the recording unit. The build quality certainly feels robust - everything faced in rubber. They say it produces "DVD quality" - 720x480 30fps - not sure if that would be good enough for broadcast though. Anyone know about this?

It also has a remote control button to start/stop recording that could be strapped to your handle bars. However (from the net) I gather that there isn't a light or something to indicate if the unit is currently recording or not.

It can also be set to continously record a, say, 3 minute segment (you can specify the length of the segment). If something interesting happens and you want to save that 3 minute segment you press a button on the remote and that particular 3 minute segment is saved. Could be useful - but I think it would eat up batteries.

It'd be interesting to know what Ewan McGregor/John Boorman used for their helmet mounted cameras on their Long Way Down/Long Way Around motorcycle trips. Anyone know?

Jaded

Enogeze said:
It also has a remote control button to start/stop recording that could be strapped to your handle bars. However (from the net) I gather that there isn't a light or something to indicate if the unit is currently recording or not.

No, but you get to know what it is recording and also you can make doubly sure by pressing twice. The remote has a stop and a start button

Enogeze said:
It can also be set to continously record a, say, 3 minute segment (you can specify the length of the segment). If something interesting happens and you want to save that 3 minute segment you press a button on the remote and that particular 3 minute segment is saved. Could be useful - but I think it would eat up batteries.

About 3 hours if you are using good quality Nimh rechargeables.

The loop mode is very useful - saves you either having to record everything, or missing action.

Enogeze

Thanks for the clarification Jaded about the start/stop buttons.

And what I meant to say is that you can record multiple user definable length segments using the loop mode.

Good to know that the NiMH can last upto 3 hours in loop mode!

Top Bottom