Video nasty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Watch the video again. The cyclist did not change lanes.
Cyclist is travelling for most of the video in the second lane from the left. The truck impact occurs in the third lane from the left. The cyclist changed lanes, the truck driver wasn't expecting him to, hence the collision.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Watch for the solid white line to the right of the cyclist and you see he does not swap lanes , first view viewings I thought he did also.
Watch the dashed white line to the right of the cyclist.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cyclist is travelling for most of the video in the second lane from the left. The truck impact occurs in the third lane from the left. The cyclist changed lanes, the truck driver wasn't expecting him to, hence the collision.

The truck driver shouldn't have been there.. the truck driver was in a turn right lane...the cyclist carried straight on with the lane dividing after the turn.

I am better off carrying out an armed robbery at Tiffany and taking my chances with the Armed Response Unit.

That truck appeared to cut across the markings to squeeze into the newly emerging lane. At that speed I am not sure if a shoulder check would have helped.

U

User6179

Watch the solid white line to his right , the road splits to 3 lanes from 2 that go straight on , the solid white line is to the right of him for 30 yards before the impact , the lorry was in the lane to his right that does not go straight on , if there had been a traffic island instead of solid white lines the lorry would of had to run over the top it to go straight on .
For the lorry to go straight on it would have been directly behind the cyclists , not to the right of them .

winjim

Smash the cistern
Watch the solid white line to his right , the road splits to 3 lanes from 2 that go straight on , the solid white line is to the right of him for 30 yards before the impact , the lorry was in the lane to his right that does not go straight on , if there had been a traffic island instead of solid white lines the lorry would of had to run over the top it to go straight on .
For the lorry to go straight on it would have been directly behind the cyclists , not to the right of them .
I don't disagree that the lorry crossed a solid line. But, had the cyclist not changed lanes, the lorry would have passed to the right of him.

U

User6179

[QUOTE 3644483, member: 9609"]you do realize it is a drive on the right situation, the lorry should be passing on the right[/QUOTE]

On the right ? you mean the left ?

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 3644483, member: 9609"]you do realize it is a drive on the right situation, the lorry should be passing on the right[/QUOTE]
I assume you mean left. The important thing from a cyclist's POV is not what the lorry should be doing, but what it is doing.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I agree

I agree.

I disagree. The centre lane is the one that carried on. The cyclist moved into the new right hand lane.
The centre lane is indeed the one that carries on and splits into two. The cyclist is in a strong primary, not even enough room for a car to come up his right side. The lorry doesn't come from the lane, he hasn't driven up behind him, that's where his friend is, so no reason for him to shoulder check there as he takes the right split as he knows the only thing behind him in that lane is his mate and there are solid lines next to him and his mate. The lorry driver actually crosses the solid right lines illegally, having realised his own lane is a right turn only and he wants to go straight on. Certainly a lesson to us all to expect the unexpected!! I hope they got the truck driver.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The centre lane is indeed the one that carries on and splits into two. The cyclist is in a strong primary, not even enough room for a car to come up his right side. The lorry doesn't come from the lane, he hasn't driven up behind him, that's where his friend is, so no reason for him to shoulder check there as he takes the right split as he knows the only thing behind him in that lane is his mate and there are solid lines next to him and his mate. The lorry driver actually crosses the solid right lines illegally, having realised his own lane is a right turn only and he wants to go straight on. Certainly a lesson to us all to expect the unexpected!! I hope they got the truck driver.
I think that the cyclist was actually in a secondary position but apart from that I agree with your assessment.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I think that the cyclist was actually in a secondary position but apart from that I agree with your assessment.
Indeed, if the lorry was meant to pass on the left, which makes the drivers actions even worse. Anyone guessed what country it is? Recognise the language?

Top Bottom