Video on bike chains.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sounds a bit like a large consignment of things to hang invoices off! :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
There may...may, be some circumstances where that can happen ?
I used to regularly (weekly ) take my 10 speed chain off, clean, soak in an oil bath, drip dry, wipe and refit. This was at work, 2 minutes to get off and wipe clean, 2 minutes to wipe and refit when done, the rest of the time didnt matter. Important bit is, however many times I did that...I never thought of direction it came off, I just refitted it as it came to hand. Never once had an issue.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Many thanks guys thats what i was thinking could not understand about fitting on same way as it came off as have done this many many times over the years same as yourself gbb and never had an issue. Must be as you say T4omo, Just another dumb yank talking shoot on the internet.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
I do think that the idea is probably a bit dumb, but I wouldn't bring nationality into it - there are plenty of equally dumb things said by people in the UK, and everywhere else in the world! :okay:

Hi CollinJ, No offence meant to anyone and think the only reason another dumb yank was said was because thats where it came from, so same could be said about any one no mater where they came from, as you say dumb people everywhere and lots to take offence even when theres none intended.
The great thing about cyclists is that most have after cycling for a few years learnt not to take offence or indeed look for trouble as we tend to be on the receiving end of more than we like without looking for any, very easy to find offence if you go looking but again know the old saying you can not please everyone all the time?

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
There may...may, be some circumstances where that can happen ?
I used to regularly (weekly ) take my 10 speed chain off, clean, soak in an oil bath, drip dry, wipe and refit. This was at work, 2 minutes to get off and wipe clean, 2 minutes to wipe and refit when done, the rest of the time didnt matter. Important bit is, however many times I did that...I never thought of direction it came off, I just refitted it as it came to hand. Never once had an issue.

Me neither !

I watched the video; and thought ‘wow’ that’s something to bare in mind. Maybe I’ll be sure to refit them the ‘right way around’ next time.

After reading the most recent posts - I think I’ll just go back to my freestyle method and slap it back on haphazardly as I have been…..

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Agreed.

But this train of thought isn’t about the manufacture: or a fitting technique - it’s alluding to the way cassette and chains wear in sync and require going back on as removed to avoid drivetrain issues…..

But the distance between rollers is the cause of wear. It doesn’t matter which way round the chain is, that distance will remain the same when you refit.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
I was just thinking that we wouldn't want to upset our friends from the USA!

LOL I am in N/ireland Colinand
Pretty much any chain is not directional. Fit whatever way round you want.

Might be wrong but think Shimano chains are fitted with writing facing outward as the inner plates are slightly thinner than the outer plates to allow quicker shifting to a lower gear but tbh have fitted them the wrong way and never noticed any difference?
Have often thought why have a thicker outer plate, seems a waste of material and just more weight if any one is interested in a gram or two?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Really interesting. During your "often thoughts" what leads you to think the plate on one side of the chain "might be" thicker than the one on the other side?
Are there greater forces operating on the side of the chain "facing outwards" and if so how generated?
Maybe Shimano chains have made the plate one side thicker to allow for the reduction in strength caused by "the writing".
Can't think of an easy way to check this.
;)

Top Bottom