Video on bike chains.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There are some which are important which is the inside & outside (where by inside I mean the side which contacts the chainrings & sprockets).

Most does not mean all. We are not in disagreement

Ajax Bay

Guru
Add more value @Alex321 - which chains are directional and why?
Has this the same importance as mounting tyres in the direction indicated on their sidewall, where manufacturers choose to help in this way.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Far as i know its only 10 and 11 speed shimano chains, Have been told today that the only difference is not the strengh or size of the side plates but that the inner side plate is shamfered different to allow better shifting? But as said i have fitted them the wrong way and not noticed any difference but perhaps others may?

Alex321

Veteran
Add more value @Alex321 - which chains are directional and why?
Has this the same importance as mounting tyres in the direction indicated on their sidewall, where manufacturers choose to help in this way.

I don't know why.

I only know because I bought one, which basically was flattish on one side (the "outside"), the usual lumpy shape on the other.

I bought it because my chain had broken, and it was all that was in my local Halfords for 11 speed. I didn't even realise at first that it was oddly shaped. I don't even remember for sure what make it was.

Mr Celine

Discordian
So it would make sense to be assymetrical. Like the Haggis.

Male or female?

Top Bottom