Viking Retroadie fixup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Getting this back on the road for someone, a few questions:

Can mudguards be mounted on it? There only seem to be mounting holes on the outside of the rear triangle, two on each side, and one on each inside of the forks. There are no central mounting holes at the top but it does have caliper brakes which I've never worked with before, is there a way of bolting mudguards through the brake fittings?

Never worked with a friction shifter front derailleur either, and it's not holding in place on the big ring, I can even push the derailleur towards the frame which moves the shifter. It looks almost brand new so what should I tighten to get it to stay in one place?

http://www.avocetsports.co.uk/vikin...retro-roadie-gents-700c-wheel-road-bike-vp019

DRM

Guru
Yes, you would take the callipers off and put them through the bracket on the mudguard, then the stays of the mudguard go down to one of the two eyes above the drop out, there should also be a hole near the bottom bracket for the bottom of the rear mudguard to attach to.

View: https://youtu.be/KlOXOSqecEc

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Yes there are mudguard mounting points on the dropouts and a standard Brake bridge bracket which is supplied with most full length mudguards will be fine.

Mudguards? Yes! The front 'guard will use the brake mounting bolt. For the rear the mudguards should come with a fixing to attach them to the chainstay bridge or to clamp between the chainstays if there isn't one as well as the brake mounting bolt. The guards pass through the calipers.

If your friction shifters are slipping, it looks like you need to nip up the allen-headed bolt in the centre of the shifter. On vintage shifters, there's usually a d-ring headed bolt that you can tighten on the fly, but from the pics it looks like these are set-and-forget and just need a bit of maintenance.

Sweet bike 🤞

Getting this back on the road for someone, a few questions:

Can mudguards be mounted on it? There only seem to be mounting holes on the outside of the rear triangle, two on each side, and one on each inside of the forks. There are no central mounting holes at the top but it does have caliper brakes which I've never worked with before, is there a way of bolting mudguards through the brake fittings?

Never worked with a friction shifter front derailleur either, and it's not holding in place on the big ring, I can even push the derailleur towards the frame which moves the shifter. It looks almost brand new so what should I tighten to get it to stay in one place?

http://www.avocetsports.co.uk/vikin...retro-roadie-gents-700c-wheel-road-bike-vp019

Sometimes it is possible to tighten the pressure on the shifter lever using the adjusting fastener on the shifter.

If that is the modern Viking make that they sell in Cash Generator shops they often have cheap components that require frequent adjustment.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
It looks almost brand new so I'm guessing it's the modern version, will have a play with the shifters. It looks great but I can confirm that the weight is also retro. :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As stated you should be able to tighten the shifter's central fixing to stop it moving but these cheap bikes naturally use cheap components so maybe you can't do that. Might be worth changing to a better one.

Chris S

Legendary Member
You will probably need one of these to attach the rear mudguard to the brake bolt.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...VB4XVCh1J_Qd7EAQYBiABEgKmE_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

prod174586_Silver_NE_01.jpeg

Holes on the frame are for panniers.
The threaded loops near the drop outs are for mudguards.
There should be a threaded hole on the rear of the bottom bracket.
Both front and rear will use the brake mounting bolts for fixing.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Anyone recognise these shifters? The rear shifter is indexed and says 'Shimano Index System' on them, that one does have a screw visible presumably for tightening the lever but the front shifter just seems to have a plastic covering which I'm reluctant to take off without knowing whether it's put-back-on-able.

IMG_20210406_155555.jpg

T4tomo

Legendary Member
isn't that just a plastic thumb /wing nut for hand tightening? tightening it should just tighten that shifter, which is friction for the FD I imagine so needs to be pretty tight. the RD shifter will attach differently as its indexed. they are "brandless" shimano ones. cheap but a shifter like that isn't complicated.

it is a modern bike made to look old. Re the weight, a vintage frame made out of 531 or 501 butted tubing would be much lighter than hi tensile steel gas pipes.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
isn't that just a plastic thumb /wing nut for hand tightening? tightening it should just tighten that shifter, which is friction for the FD I imagine so needs to be pretty tight. the RD shifter will attach differently as its indexed. they are "brandless" shimano ones. cheap but a shifter like that isn't complicated.

it is a modern bike made to look old. Re the weight, a vintage frame made out of 531 or 501 butted tubing would be much lighter than hi tensile steel gas pipes.

I managed to find an image that looks like them (SY20) and you might be right - this exploded view shows a thumb screw, although I thought on this bike it was connected to the metal housing, will check.

cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Are they not the very first (or a copy of) incarnation of index shifters? Were they not called reflex or something similar. Right at the beginning of the move away from purely friction shifters. Long before such refinements as 105 came along.

These may not be original and may just be a cheap copy intended as a replica. We are talking a long time ago - late 1980s - so maybe they are not.

Top Bottom