Viking Retroadie fixup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes the ones on my old peugeot (friction both sides, and much prettier:laugh:) tighten up with thumb screws. That second pic confirms it. if you dont have them tight enough you can get a phantom change over a bumpy road.

re post above - I think there are cheap replica copies, but yes downtube shifters went from being purely friction to indexed around late 80's and only later came integrated brake and shifters. Bar end shifters , stem mounted shifters, friction and then indexed were / are also around.

spa cycles and others sell a range of modern equivalents as bar end especially are still popular, especially with the touring crowd

D

Deleted member 1258

yes the ones on my old peugeot (friction both sides, and much prettier:laugh:) tighten up with thumb screws. That second pic confirms it. if you dont have them tight enough you can get a phantom change over a bumpy road.

re post above - I think there are cheap replica copies, but yes downtube shifters went from being purely friction to indexed around late 80's and only later came integrated brake and shifters. Bar end shifters , stem mounted shifters, friction and then indexed were / are also around.

spa cycles and others sell a range of modern equivalents as bar end especially are still popular, especially with the touring crowd

Yes, I remember going from friction to indexed, for a long time I ran six speed with a 7 speed indexed down tube shifter and rear mech, used the inside limit screw to blank off the bottom gear on the system.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Again, I've never worked with a quill stem before - how much could it likely be raised by and still be safe? Rider might be finding the riding position a bit low.

D

Deleted member 1258

Again, I've never worked with a quill stem before - how much could it likely be raised by and still be safe? Rider might be finding the riding position a bit low.

There should be a mark on it showing the maximum height, usually a line.

D

Deleted member 1258

|||||||| MINIMUM ||||||| Must be (out-of-sight) below the top of the threaded steerer tube.

A minimum insertion mark? If you can see that mark you've got the minimum amount of stem inserted in the steerer?

D

Deleted member 1258

That's right. If you can see the mark the stem is too far out.

Yes, I thought it was, its been a long time since I used a quill stem.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom