viking roma wheels better than triban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have seen a set on ebay and wondered how they stack up against the triban wheels?
Looking for a set for the commuter and i found the triban wheels cack
$_12.JPG

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Probably very similar. They are no doubt on ebay as someone found them cack and upgraded them.

sreten

Hi,

I wouldn't swap Viking wheels for anything, I know because my
very cheap road bike bike has a lot in common with Vikings.
TBH I'd expect the Triban wheels to be better, not worse.

Though some say the worst aspect of the Tribans is the wheels,
your still talking a nice bike, and you need decent wheels as any
sort of real upgrade I would imagine.

FWIW I tweaked the spoke tensions on my cheap wheels,
(same as a Viking budget road bike), and did notice a
smoother ride, even with 30mm rear and 32mm front.

It probably would be more noticeable with thinner tyres.

I agree your looking at wheels someone has upgraded,
much more likely than not, and that isn't a good omen.

Personally for commuting I'd fit the fattest tyres that
will fit and tweak any loose or tight spokes before
considering buying new wheels.

I'd also fit relatively heavy, tough, long lasting puncture
protected tyres with the reflective safety strip, YMMV.

(IMO the Michelin City is a great rolling, but tough and
hardwearing commuting tyre, and great value from CR.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/michelin-city-road-tyre/rp-prod26232
The 32mm probably won't fit the rear of most road bikes ...)

Then get some nice wheels,tyres and cassette for the
weekend blasts, if that is your thing. Shimano do great
value bladed spoke wheels, around £75 a pair.

rgds, sreten.

For perspective my wheels came with a £125 bike,
which is very near identical to Vikings £260 model.

Last edited:

sreten

Hi,

YMMV but if 23mm is the biggest size you can fit under mudguards you have a poor commuter.
And not a fast bike, the elite go faster on 25mm and most mere mortals go faster on 28mm.
At 50+ I doubt tyre width affects my speed much at all, and would like 35mm tyres on my
road bike but 30mm rear and 32mm front are the biggest that will fit, with mudguards.

Lack of comfort is very tiring, it feels fast but it simply is not.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Hi,

YMMV but if 23mm is the biggest size you can fit under mudguards you have a poor commuter.
And not a fast bike, the elite go faster on 25mm and most mere mortals go faster on 28mm.
At 50+ I doubt tyre width affects my speed much at all, and would like 35mm tyres on my
road bike but 30mm rear and 32mm front are the biggest that will fit, with mudguards.

Lack of comfort is very tiring, it feels fast but it simply is not.

rgds, sreten.
If the weather warrants it i swap to 26x2.3 rigid MTB and i can ride sportive distances on 622x23 mm and be comfortable all day long at a good pace.
The bike actually could take 28`s , the only issue is clearance restrictions of the guards.
And i am only 4 years younger.
Maybe you should be looking at your bike fit if you cant ride on such a bike comfortably ?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

sreten

Maybe you should be looking at your bike fit if you cant ride on such a bike comfortably ?

Hi,

The bike fits fine, I've just fitted the fattest tyres that will fit.
Its a cheap bike and the last thing I need is skinny tyres.

I'm not competitive, I ride for fitness, and I'm quite sure
I'd be no faster in reality on skinny tyres, being less
comfortable and slower on bad roads, YMMV.

My tyres are also puncture protected and relatively tough,
lightweight they are not, but my bike doesn't warrant that.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
I know this is a little late, but I sometime ran with a rack a bag with drop down panniers, sometimes with two two little bottles of pop (not fer right enough) but with things like my camera kit to York (about 25 miles there) ect, I was running on RS10's till last week when I noticed two cracks in the rear rim, the added weight could have helped cause it, I was about 80Kg and the bike regularly could weigh upto 18Kg's though more like 14-15Kg's, before that I had XR18's fitted to my Viking and the rear wheel kept braking spokes, not my area of expertise so could have been as much me as the wheel, they managed about 5,000 miles the RS10's just short of 7,000 miles.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

I know this is a little late, but I sometime ran with a rack a bag with drop down panniers, sometimes with two two little bottles of pop (not fer right enough) but with things like my camera kit to York (about 25 miles there) ect, I was running on RS10's till last week when I noticed two cracks in the rear rim, the added weight could have helped cause it, I was about 80Kg and the bike regularly could weigh upto 18Kg's though more like 14-15Kg's, before that I had XR18's fitted to my Viking and the rear wheel kept braking spokes, not my area of expertise so could have been as much me as the wheel, they managed about 5,000 miles the RS10's just short of 7,000 miles.
Sold some stuff now , got some rs 11s on order and will use the cxp 22`s on the commuter , pretty bombproof i read so they should take me at 68 kg and panniers.

Sold some stuff now , got some rs 11s on order and will use the cxp 22`s on the commuter , pretty bombproof i read so they should take me at 68 kg and panniers.
Thats what Planet-X replaced my RS10's with, not done a 100 miles on them yet so its difficult to tell, hubs are different to RS10's but I think the rims are the same.

Top Bottom