vintage bike classic raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deano29

hi all new to this site looking for some help on what year this raleigh bike is it's black think it was blue before as some paint has come away From part of the bike it has 27 11/4 weels think is 10 speed any info would be much appreciated thanks

Attachments

• new bike.jpg
    new bike.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 132
  • new bike1.jpg
    new bike1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 131
  • new bike2.jpg
    new bike2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 131
  • new bike3.jpg
    new bike3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 125
  • new bike4.jpg
    new bike4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 127
  • new bike5.jpg
    new bike5.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 131
  • new bike6.jpg
    new bike6.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 138

classic33

Leg End Member

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looks original to me, the 'undercoat' may well have been a dark blue before the black top coat.
Nice to see the brake levers are still where Raleigh used to put em and the 'suicide' levers are still on, but I'd rotate the handlebars in the stem clamp a bit so that they're parallel to the ground (instead of the slight downward tilt)
BTW if those rims are 'Chromed steel' I wouldn't expect much braking effect in the wet.

classic33

Leg End Member
Based on New Bike 2
"The 100GS was also called the "Crane" (as in the bird). A little earlier Shimano also had the Eagle, and Suntour had recently introduced the "articulated parallelogram" derailleur with their GT, VGT, and VGTLuxe models.

Sooo, if you have the early Crane rear with the standard parallelogram you can figure about 1972 or 1973. Later Cranes with the articulated parallelogram (similar to almost every rear derailleur design today) you can figure about 1983 or 84."

http://sports1234.com/cycling/2152-cycling.html

OP
OP
deano29

deano29

hi all thanks for info much appreciated thanks i got the bike to day someone near me was throwing it away so i snap it up i will make good use of it no worries about that.^_^:bicycle:gear are made by shimano..

OP
OP
deano29

deano29

Looks original to me, the 'undercoat' may well have been a dark blue before the black top coat.
Nice to see the brake levers are still where Raleigh used to put em and the 'suicide' levers are still on, but I'd rotate the handlebars in the stem clamp a bit so that they're parallel to the ground (instead of the slight downward tilt)
BTW if those rims are 'Chromed steel' I wouldn't expect much braking effect in the wet.
hi weels are 'Chromed steel has a six digits number on bike and 3 bottom

OP
OP
deano29

deano29

Anyone know what therefore in the pictures I'm thinking lights ❓❔❓ I'm not sure

Attachments

• WP_20160423_07_13_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160423_07_13_32_Pro.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 73
  • WP_20160423_07_14_00_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160423_07_14_00_Pro.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 74

raleighnut

Legendary Member
There will probably be a sticker on the frame quoting the steel it is made from.
18-23 is basic Hi-ten steel, worth about £60
Reynolds 501, worth around £100-120
Reynolds 531, couple of hundred upwards depending on condition. (the frame No would also begin with a W on a 531 Raleigh of the 70s)

No sticker would lead to it being basic Hi-Ten steel.
(these are not London prices though, some people down there will pay a fortune for steel frames to convert them to 'Hipster Fixies' for some reason)

Top Bottom