vintage bike classic raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
deano29

deano29

There will probably be a sticker on the frame quoting the steel it is made from.
18-23 is basic Hi-ten steel, worth about £60
Reynolds 501, worth around £100-120
Reynolds 531, couple of hundred upwards depending on condition. (the frame No would also begin with a W on a 531 Raleigh of the 70s)

No sticker would lead to it being basic Hi-Ten steel.
(these are not London prices though, some people down there will pay a fortune for steel frames to convert them to 'Hipster Fixies' for some reason)
On the frame near were you do the nut up for the set there a number 0503*7 and if you. Turn the bike upside down there a number 187 no stickers with letters or number on cheers for help

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone know what therefore in the pictures I'm thinking lights ❓❔❓ I'm not sure
What's stamped into the steel, in french, on the second picture?

Also check the left rear dropout for a number

Last edited:

arch684

Veteran
This has got me interested
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

arch684

Veteran
Sorry i got disturbed.the pics i posted are the same as the pics in this thread.The one on the rear stay was not for a light it was some kind of lock it even had a small key and when it was turned a small bolt slid out and stopped the rear wheel from turning.I removed it as i thought it was dangerous the bike is a Tensor bike made in Darlington i think the frames were made in west germany

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry i got disturbed.the pics i posted are the same as the pics in this thread.The one on the rear stay was not for a light it was some kind of lock it even had a small key and when it was turned a small bolt slid out and stopped the rear wheel from turning.I removed it as i thought it was dangerous the bike is a Tensor bike made in Darlington i think the frames were made in west germany
Dates it to 78 - 81

arch684

Veteran
Continental lighting setup?
Could be. I also checked the number under the bb shell and only 3 numbers

DRM

Guru
Thanks for posting the photo of the seat stay lock bracket, you have reminded me of which bike I was given one xmas, it must have been a Tensor as I recall that lock on it, it was metallic red & I'm sure it had a blingy (to my eyes) gold coloured chain, it was definately a mail order bike, probably what we would now call a BSO, I'm sure I removed the lock because it would push in if you leaned it against a wall, still it got plenty of use before I bought a Peugeot from a mate at school, I think my Tensor dated from about 1978ish.

arch684

Veteran
The one i have i was given or it was going in the skip.It's the kind of bike you would buy if you could'nt afford a raleigh,I'm not sure what to do with it i may make it into a fixie but i'm to old to be a hipster

Top Bottom