Vintage bikes, what have you seen?? Show us your pictures!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
But look at it another way. What I have spent on all those bikes would add up to considerably less than I used to spend every year on fags and they won't give me cancer (I think - better check and see what the Daily Mail says).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
A 1930s BSA in need of some TLC!
IMG-20160910-WA0001.jpg

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
That looks like an auction house. Did you stay to find out how much it fetched?

It does doesn't it. I think you can see lot number labels, but maybe they're prices. It was seen in a place up north by a friend of my wife, she reckons it was just a general sale room. Not sure how much, she just asked me how much work it would need to restore. I'm not able to answer more than "probably quite a lot". All I could place was the manufacturer and probable decade, which the sale room didn't know, so it was a start.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Raleigh Caprice in a pinky purple (which stood out both against the green stand and in the dull light this morning), clean/new whitewall tyres, new mudguards, possibly original grips and Lycett-style saddle, nasty twistgrip controlling an AW hub gear, possibly contemporary ADIE metal basket, Woods valve at the back but Schrader at the front...
cyclestreets84926-size640.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Raleigh Caprice in a pinky purple (which stood out both against the green stand and in the dull light this morning), clean/new whitewall tyres, new mudguards, possibly original grips and Lycett-style saddle, nasty twistgrip controlling an AW hub gear, possibly contemporary ADIE metal basket, Woods valve at the back but Schrader at the front...
cyclestreets84926-size640.jpg

@mjr glad to see you didnt look to close

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr glad to see you didnt look to close
Heh. Such a well-kept example stood out to me in this town where tons of similar bikes keep soldiering on as a result of their low maintenance needs and the relative scarcity of recent mass-market replacements until the likes of the Pendleton Sommersby repopularised the style. I'm slightly kicking myself for not checking the rear hub date code ;) - I suspect it was mid-1980s because the white twist shifter just seems of that era, but when it's been kept or restored so well, who knows how old it might have been? The model was introduced in the early 70s if not before and there's a Raleigh Caprice still on sale now, but it's a 6061 aluminium frame, generally uglier IMO and a couple of kilos heavier :eek: :rolleyes:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A selection from our visit today to the Coventry Transport Museum , some great bikes and cars on show.

Including this strange one

100_7079.jpg
100_7084.jpg
100_7088.jpg

A very nice Rudge

100_7108.jpg
100_7110.jpg

The owner of this obe use to ride from Coventry to Reigate to see his Lady friend a total of 130 miles each way

100_7118.jpg

This 50's Pollard was my favourite

100_7146.jpg

Followed closely by this Triumph King of Clubs

100_7147.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And some more including a Bromwich Mixte a Lee Cooper touring bike

100_7156.jpg
100_7157.jpg

This 1938 Caminargent was very interesting and ahead of it time surely

100_7164.jpg
100_7165.jpg

100_7167.jpg
100_7200.jpg

This 1952 R.O Harrison was owned by Edie Atkins who achieved some remarkable distance records (see above picture)

100_7201.jpg
100_7204.jpg
100_7205.jpg

This Hercules was owned by Eileen Sherridan who in 1954 broke the record for Lands end to John O Groats for women by competing it in 2 days 11 hours and 7 minutes !!!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Almost made me cry to see it reduced to this - still looks a nice bike, High St, Marlborough. Seems a bit cheeky pinching a bike stand for commercial reasons though...
DSC_1574.JPG

DSC_1575.JPG

Top Bottom