Vintage Colnago Super Carbone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bondsy

Hi does anyone have any info on vintage Colnago Carbon frames. I believe in the 80's they made frames with carbon tubes and bonded aluminium lugs. Searching the net I can not find any thing to indicate Colnago made frames in this way. Any help grealty received.

carpenter

Über Member

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Thanks carpenter interesting article and one I have not seen before. The frame I am researching has a single carbon down tube and I am not convinced it is a colnago. Once I am allowed I will post some pictures. (Only just signed up).

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

The frame in question.
Screenshot_2019-05-21-20-01-07.png

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yep thats a first generation (wishbone) Vitus 787 frame but it has different head tube lugs from the standard Futural 787 so l guess it could have been a special order ! In which case it would be very desirable (especially by me) ....just declaring an interest ^_^

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Woodbutcher, examining the frame set it appears that the rear dropout lugs are also different from the Vitus 797 models. The bottom bracket base also has no Vitus marking, the only marking on the frame is pat pending on the bottom bracket and the Serial number 87M0084 on the rear dropout lug. I still cannot work out what it is or even if it's a good idea to remove the Colnago stickers.
20190522_190918.jpg
20190522_190930.jpg
20190522_190918.jpg

OP
OP
Bondsy

Bondsy

Cycleops thanks for the steer, not sure if that is good or bad news but would explain the Colnago stickers! I will continue to dig around. Trying to work out if it's worth building up and getting it back on the road.

Top Bottom