Vintage Fothergill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tony Smith

Having had a Fothergill back in my early teens (mid 1960s) and, as we usually do in a recession, starting to hark back to happier times I thought I'd rekindle the fire of idiocy and get meself up in the saddle once again. (Not strictly true as I have a hybrid that I venture out on when the pot-holes and weather allow, but you get my drift)
Anyway., I searched and eventually found one about two hours fast drive away. Jumped in the car (marvellous invention the car., it doesn't care about sleet/fog/tyreridges or headwinds) and struck out across country in search of my 'Grail'.
Arriving at the sellers house feeling like I'm Mike Brewer in an episode of "Wheeler Dealers" we eventually held out our hands and I went away screaming "I've just bought myself a Fovvergeell..."
Following a further detour to my old home town I arrived home and commenced stripping the few items that where left on the frame amongst a decade or so of grease and road much. I found matching numbers, an Accles & Pollock mark and a couple of other 'tells', dating the bike to late 40's early 50's.
Its currently off getting blasted and a little brazing done and I'll get pics up once its back.
Two questions (for now) in the A&P oval I have the letters A&P, BST and C M. I know what the A&P and BST mean, but can anyone assist with the CM ? Is it Chrome Mollie or something else. There is no 'A Grade' mark or anything like that. Also, the drop outs on the forks are unusually quite deep and have a slight curl outwards at the end. Any help anyone ?

raindog

er.....
.......thought I'd rekindle the fire of idiocy and get meself up in the saddle once again.
Doesn't sound idiotic to me, sounds pretty bloody sensible.
Sorry, can't help with your questions, but we like to look at photos in here.^_^

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Fothergills are very high quality frames - imo; I've been looking for one in my size for a few years.

I'd be very interested to see some pics.

OP
OP
Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Since I joined I've acquired three nice Fothergills and an R.J. Quinn. Its my plan to refurbish one of them for myself, the others I will pass on. When I was stripping one down I found in the headtube a rolled up receipt for the build dated October 1950 and containing the frame number/angles and price together with the huys name for whom it was built.!. Its an excellent frame, nice lugs and contains some very fine box lining. The nice guys at Henry Burton have widened the rear dropouts for me so its good to go.

Can anyone help me with a query ?. The headbadge and seatpost badge have behind them the coloured rings usually associated with the Olympics etc. The colours are Red, Gold, Green, Black and Blue each edged with a vary narrow silver band. Can anyone enlighten me on the significance

Incidentally, having so many Fothergills, I'm having his original headbadge transfer reproduced -the one that doesn't contain the image of the rider but just says "Liverpool Cycle Works" in the space between the 'V'. From what I'm told Jim used this badge from start to around 1955. If anyone is doing a faithful rebuild then give me a shout.

I would send pics if I knew how to attach them to posts here, but it doesn't seem straightforward.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What a wonderful find with the receipt, it really brings the whole thing to life. You need to make a few more posts before you can upload pics. Looking forward to seeing them.

raindog

er.....
Can anyone help me with a query ?. The headbadge and seatpost badge have behind them the coloured rings usually associated with the Olympics etc. The colours are Red, Gold, Green, Black and Blue each edged with a vary narrow silver band. Can anyone enlighten me on the significance
I've always understood that to have the Olympic colours integrated in a bike logo, either the frame builder or someone who has ridden one of his frames, had to have an Olympic medal. For instance, my Italian Faggin displays the colours, because the frame builder - Leandro Faggin - was an Olympic champion.

OP
OP
Tony Smith

Tony Smith

023.jpg
025.jpg
019.jpg
I enclose a few pics of the Fothergill. Note the headbadge, and the name of 'Flying Swan Cycles'. Any ideas anyone ?

stevevw

Guru
Martin
Yes picked up 6 frames on Saturday from Mario 2 Fothergills, Pat Hanlon, Ephgrave No1, Harry Quinn Low Pro and a Pinarello Opera. 3 are mine others are for friends. All very nicely done as usual.

I now have 7 frames painted and ready to build up of my own but have 3 paying bikes to build before I can play.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Martin
Yes picked up 6 frames on Saturday from Mario 2 Fothergills, Pat Hanlon, Ephgrave No1, Harry Quinn Low Pro and a Pinarello Opera. 3 are mine others are for friends. All very nicely done as usual.

I now have 7 frames painted and ready to build up of my own but have 3 paying bikes to build before I can play.
busy busy

Top Bottom