Vintage frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=370036218429&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=024

Looks lovely, and I'd love to have a project so building a bike from a vintage frame like this does appeal. However, given I'm going from a basic level of knowledge I'm probably priced out the bidding already, and I'd imagine getting the right components will be pretty expensive.

However, as a concept is it something worth doing? Something like this will give you a pretty unique bike and may be worth something in resell value. Any pitfalls in building from the classic frames that can occasionally be found?

Archie

P.S. Would this be a better beginners project, given the level of interest is WAY less, and has some components to kick off the build?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=220215987521&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Monty Dog

This would make an excellent beginners project - an 80s frame benefits from fairly standardised dimensions and would even accept modern components - apart from a quill stem and headset. Luckily it's not my size, or I'd be tempted too - it's just down the road as well! Part of the fun would be tracking down suitable components - and fortunately late-80s Campagnolo components don't demand such a premium as the earlier stuff - except of course if you fancy Delta brakes

hubgearfreak

Über Member
step away from the bid now button.

you may find yourself enjoying riding it more than you do the latest carbominium 33 speed whatsit, and cause the downfall of our consumerist society.

more seriously, you should definitely go for this type of thing, but given that you won't do it cheaply or easily (which is part of the fun) then take some time in sourcing the frame that is spot on your size, your colour and your riding style - so that you end up with your perfect bike.

better still find one local to you so that it doesn't get shafted over by the parcel chaps. they normally do argos bookcases and shoot, and don't care that they're holding (or playing football) your future pride & joy

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Help! Considering a bid on a frame, but the listing has this in the description:

"Currently this is a long fork tube but we can cut & make for threaded or non-threaded head set, (no-charge)"

What would I want to specify, and why?

hubgearfreak

Über Member
Archie said:
"Currently this is a long fork tube but we can cut & make for threaded or non-threaded head set, (no-charge)" ]

if i bought one from ebay with that description, i'd ask them to leave it alone....and then i'd get my LBS to sort it out.:becool:

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm not going to comment whether the frames good value...cos i dont know, but..
Go for the project in principle...if you're like me, and dont mind trying, you'll get immense satisfaction and pleasure from it.
Dont do it to try to save money or as a proposition to have a saleable product, the costs are quite high...you'll struggle to sell for a profit, unless you have a VERY cheap source of parts.

I did a 531 Raleigh from the frame up. New wheels, mostly new drivetrain etc etc.
Frame cost me £25, most of the parts, even the new ones came from ebay, and it cost me IRO £200. The great thing is you can progress as your finances allow...you dont have to buy everything at once. I certainly would struggle to break even if i sell, let alone make a profit.

But i'd do it again.:angry:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
that's a cool frame archie. i got a 531 frameset + headset and bars for £50 from lbs and, despite having one wheel and an entire groupset to put on it, it still cost more than a new alu bike from decathlon. still, it rides really nicely, or at least it did until i put mudguards and rattly lights on.

gary r

Guru
i have a similar red & white 80's bottecchia hanging in the shed,It has chrome forks & is about 56/58 cm (id need to get the tape measure out),If anyones interested let me know

Noodley

gary r said:
i have a similar red & white 80's bottecchia hanging in the shed,It has chrome forks & is about 56/58 cm (id need to get the tape measure out),If anyones interested let me know

Lah, lah, lah...I'm not listening either.

It would probably be a bit small for me anyhow, and I'm a bit strapped for cash just now.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
mickle said:
Archie, definitely not the original fork for that frame, I'd expect a lugged crown and a label.

Hmmm, not exactly explicit in the listing, although you could argue it's implied.

Any problems, beyond loss of resale value, d'ya think?

@ Foss: 56/58cm is 22"/23" in old money.

Top Bottom