Vintage Francesco Moser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
The forks are later with Allen key brake bolts, the frame has under bb guides and nutted brakes so early 80's. A search of the catalogue and frame numbers should pin it down
I looked for ages to obtain some correct Moser forks but it didn’t happen so purchased the Columbus forks.
Campag groupset etc came off a frame with a damaged seat tube. Seemed fitting to put it together. Would have had the same or similar back in the day.

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran
20mm :eek: Rather you than me. They'll rattle your fillings! :laugh: And there's me that considers 28's to be skinny tyres, and as narrow as I will personally go. Is the fork crown very tight on height clearance? The rest of the frame doesn't look that tight.
Tyre has about 1/2 inch clearance to fork crown.

D

Deleted member 1258

There was a time when anything bigger than a 21T was considered suitable for girls and invalids. I was ashamed of my 23T back in the 90s.

I remember, 50/40 on the front with 13-21 6 speed on the back. I also remember being given a bike in the early 1990's which had 700c x 18 tyres fitted, I think I did a couple of rides then ditched them.

Godfrey

Finished building my Francesco Moser.
56cm frame
Full Campagnolo groupset.
Mavic CX14 rims on Campagnolo hubs.
Running 700x 20 tyres.
Nice light bike built with Columbus tubing.

View attachment 580874

View attachment 580875

View attachment 580876

View attachment 580877

View attachment 580878

View attachment 580879

View attachment 580880

View attachment 580881

View attachment 580882

View attachment 580883

Hi, this is very nicely done. Can you tell me if the bottom bracket is BSA68 compatible and if the drive side is left hand threaded (tightens anti-clockwise)? Also, can the frame take 700x35c tires?

midlife

Guru
The frame will be 70mm BB shell with an Italian BB so both right hand thread.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I raced on 20mm tubs because my TT iron wouldn't fit anything larger. But the finest tubs still have a fairly smooth ride.

Seeing 'Moser' I thought you might have one like this -

Screenshot_20220905-205052.png

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I raced on 20mm tubs because my TT iron wouldn't fit anything larger. But the finest tubs still have a fairly smooth ride.

View attachment 660152

Interesting how that bike was accepted as being legit by the UCI, yet when a couple of unknown British amateurs turned up and smashed the record on bikes that were not exact replicas of what Merckx rode two decades before they started huffing and puffing and changed the regulations.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Interesting how that bike was accepted as being legit by the UCI, yet when a couple of unknown British amateurs turned up and smashed the record on bikes that were not exact replicas of what Merckx rode two decades before they started huffing and puffing and changed the regulations.

Well, outlandish as it looks, the rider is still in a pretty conventional position.

OP
OP
PHL67

PHL67

Veteran

View attachment 660152

Not got one like that but have this one. No serial nos or markings anywhere. Light as anything. Built it from a frameset.

Attachments

• EEB10A45-3B14-4D2E-A03D-C1DC6ACFECFA.jpeg
    EEB10A45-3B14-4D2E-A03D-C1DC6ACFECFA.jpeg
    417.9 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom